From:
Sue Newell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:13:23 -0500

If gluten does not come in contact with the gut, is there a possibility of
damage?

Specifically, should I question the gluten content of  IV or IM drugs?

The question came up for me when I had surgery a few weeks ago. My surgeon
certainly didn't know the answer - he didn't really understand why I was
concerned about the fillers in pills, but the nurses were very helpful and
were willing to check with the pharmacy before I took new pill.

My guess is that direct contact is required for damage, but it would be
reassuring to have that confirmed.  Several people have asked this
question in different forms, but I haven't seen any answers.  Perhaps it
is a question for the CEL-PRO list.

Sue Newell
Waterloo, Ontario.