Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 17:04:55 -0500

PART II:  MULTIPLE SENSITIVITIES

When I found out I was sensitive to gluten, I was told that milk might bother
me too.  At that point I went on a completely free milk diet (except for
salad dressing) for about 3 months.  I gradually introduced milk and milk
products back into my diet during the following 3-6 months and was not
bothered by them.  So far, cross my fingers, they haven't bothered me since.

Yep....I have multiple food allergies also.  You might see people touting
the Paleolithic diet...it works because a lot of us don't have an excess of
digestive enzymes to digest corn, soy, even rice.

I've heard the term "poor metabolizers" applied to us, and I guess it's correct.

This is what works for me: an over the counter product called MSM...that
helps your body sulphate & metabolize those foods better.  Me, I also swear
by Vitamin A and a bunch of trace minerals and essential fatty acids.  Guess
my body is exceptionally lazy in puttin' out them hormones, & so I've got to
help it along...

I have been slowly getting better since April......I can finally eat yoghurt
but anything besides the freshest veggies, beans, rice and corn has strange
effects...finally chocolate is back!  I do have problems with butter and
cheese though I am not sure what is going on give your body time and don't
give up trying new things once at a time....with a week or two in between to
let you konw if there is a reaction...butter usually takes a few days to
bother me (sore teeth, puffiness etc).  Hopefully the dairy thing will get
better soon and the soy....and I react to molds too....time time time!!!

After going GF, it started with dairy and seafood.  Now I cannot eat beef,
chicken, fish, turkey, pork, most fruits and vegs, eggs, dairy, chocolate,
etc.  I also have multiple other allergies to grass, weeds, trees, flowers,
cats, dust, mold, etc.  I have had 2 anaphylaxis reactions to food since
going GF.  I hope the rotation diet works for you, I cannot do that as my
allergies are too severe.  Maybe if I tried that right away it would have
helped?

You should join the paleofood list for support, many people are living very
happily on this diet. It is just a matter of priorities

Go to www.nickelranch.com and check the foods for your blood type...are you
eating a lot of the foods that are listed as avoids?  No matter what
reference you use, you still have to listen to your body to determine what is
nailing you.

 I have similar problems.Have been GF for about 16 months,then about 6 weeks
ago,I developed a lactose intolerance.I really stiffened up and felt gluten
was getting into me again.I haven`t tried soy milk or spread,am just trying
to avoid anything that I may develop another intolerance to.I seem to live
on meat,vegetables and fruit.

 I'm not diagnosed celiac, but have muscle aches, irritability and migraine
from wheat.  And diarrhea.  And can't tolerate soy.  Or melons in the
summertime.  But I can tolerate dairy as long as I stay away from wheat.  If
there's a wheat slip-up, dairy makes it more of a problem for me.  When I
first found that wheat was behind most of my problems, after my first slip
(actually a test when a friend brought me some Italian cookies) I couldn't
eat dairy for two weeks and I thought, oh no, what did I do to myself!  But
the ability to eat dairy came back.

I would never recommend this for a prolonged period of time, but you could
consider a ketogenic diet for a short period.  This is basically the Atkins
diet.  Again, I would not stay on it long.  On Atkins, you would essentially
eliminate carbohydrates.  If your system clears up on that diet, then slowly
re-introduce carbohydrates.  That was kind of how I learned I was gluten
intolerant.

Rice and lamb are the least allergenic.

If you can find anyone in your area doing NAET (Nambudripad Allergy
Elimination Treatment) you can probably return to all of the foods you
named - including gluten-containing foods.  I've had phenomenal success.
Try a search for www.NAET.com  to get the name of practicioners in your
area.  It is a non-invasive acupuncture or acupressure way of eliminating
allergies to all sorts of things and has been doing wonders for people

Even if you are allergic or sensitive to dairy products, usually heavy
cream (whipping cream) and butter are not problematic.  You might give it a
try in your coffee - delicious

I have one of the worst scenarios for multiple allergies: no gluten, eggs,
dairy or corn. Makes life very interesting indeed. If the intolerances are
severe and of the protein type, they may be permanent. However, when I
started out on this journey I was "allergic" to almost everything and now it
is just those things I mentioned. With avoidance, all the rest of them have
disappeared which is amazing. I think in time, the others (except the gluten
of course) will also lessen to a manageable proportion. Be careful not to
overdo it on the rice: any grain and/or carb is going to become problematic
for you.

If you can tolerate white potatoes, this makes a wonderful coffee creamer:
order a container of Darifree (I can send you the number if you need it)
which is just powdered potatoes with some calcium added, and you can make
milk out of it for baking etc. (it is very sweet so you have to use your
discretion). I just take a few scoops of the powder out of the container and
put it in a tupperware dish and add some sugar and mix it up. A few tsps. in
coffee is delicious and just like cream. My non-celiac husband likes his
coffee better with this mixture than with milk!

You sound like you have leaky gut, which all celiacs have to some degree or
other. When you get sensitized to other foods, this is a big clue. To help
get better, take acidophilus, l-glutamine and digestive enzymes. I also have
found out that I have LOW (not high) stomach acid production and I take a
hydrochloric acid supplement for this which has helped the multiple
sensitivities alot......

    I don't know how old you are but since menopause my limited food
intolerence (to onion and all things that grow from a bulb) have increased
to include orange, chocolate, wine, cheese, peanuts, grapes, all grape based
products, capsicum.  I am now suspecting milk products, potato, bananas,
apples..........I am the perfect dinner companion!!!!!!!.

I just want to mention that I followed a pattern similar to
yours, with exactly the same foods.  First gluten, and then after being
gluten-free for awhile, soy and dairy.
   In my case the symptoms are mainly gastrointestinal, however.  The extra
sensitivities seemed to hit me after I did a gluten challenge.  (I had
self-diagnosed, gotten better on a (mostly) gluten-free diet for about a
year, and then gone to a doctor to find out for sure if I was a celiac--he
told me to add gluten to my daily diet for three months.  Result--I am a
celiac!  I'm happy for the official diagnosis, but believe me, getting
better after a challenge isn't as simple and automatic as one would like to
think.)
    After I went back to a stricter than ever GF diet, I started consuming a
lot on Genisoy bars, since they are gluten-free.  Perhaps I was eating too
many of them--one or sometimes two a day.  All of a sudden I noticed I
seemed to be getting similar GI symptoms from them as I used to get from
gluten.  I also had problems with dairy products around the same time.  One
theory I have is that the gluten challenge caused some intestinal damage,
leading to "leaky-gut" problems, which caused me to get further food
allergies--but it's just a theory.
    Finally, about half a year later, I started eating cheeses and yogurt
that I incubated myself (24 hours' incubation, to make sure all of the
lactose is gone).  At this point (almost a year later), I can have
occasional small bits of soy or milk products (as ingredients in prepared
foods, for example), without any problems.

I have had a variety of food allergies and intolerance's since I was four
years old; before that I had asthma all the time; in fact, in the early
thirties food allergies were often called food asthma. I wasn't diagnosed
with CD until 1997, the year I turned 68.

 My mother followed the same pattern.