From:
Amy Lash Esau <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Lash Esau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 18:58:08 -0500

I try to guard myself against thinking gluten is the root of every physical problem, but with the wide variety of problems related to Celiac (infertility, autoimmune disorders, etc.), I was wondering if anyone has experienced rapid, unexplained hair loss.  My neighbor, a late 20s-early 30s black woman originally from a Caribbean island, has developed a bald spot on the back of her head over the past several months, probably 4-6 inches in diameter now.  She said she's been tested for a variety of things, such as iron deficiency and thyroid, but they've come back negative.  Nutritionally she has been taking vitamins and tries to eat healthfully, baking whole-wheat bread 1-2 times a week.  She also eats a lot of pasta dishes.  She doesn't have any digestive symptoms, but her periods are very irregular (short cycles 9-21 days) and very heavy on the first few days.  She's desperate to find something that might help her regain her hair, but the doctors won't give her anything because they don't know what's going on.  So my question, has anyone had similar symptoms related/attributable to celiac?  Should I encourage her to go gf for awhile to see what happens?  I'll post a summary.
Thanks,
Amy