From:
Gary Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 23:20:10 -0400

>  Can anyone tell me why after a year of GF. I still encounter times of
>blurred vision and inability to focus on printed matter?
>I can understand due to the vitimin deficiency before being diagnosed Celiac.

Charlie:

This may be reaching, but my psychiatrist (whom I see occassionally for
meds for ADD) suggested that a magnesium deficiency could interfere with
vision.   Magnesium is very important in muscle tone and function.  A low
magnesium level promotes muscle cramps and ineffecient muscle functioning.
As soon as I started taking Solgar Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc combo, I noticed
that I did not have as many muscle cramps, aching arms and legs, and less
difficulty focusing. I also have a partial loss of vision in one eye, so
acuity is very important to me.

Apparently the combination of all three minerals promotes absorption.  And
this has proven to be the only Mag pill I can take without getting
nauseous.  Although I follow a GF diet, my gastro-intestinal functioning
has never returned to normal.  I still have difficulty keeping on weight
('course,  I am on a low fat, rice based diet) and tend to fade rapidly if
I miss or am late for a meal.  There is some research (somewhere) that
suggests that people with ADD also may exhibit signs of a
pseudo-hypoglycemia.  My MD of course scoffs at this.  My
Gastroenterologist says, if the shoe fits....

Hope this has been some help.

Gary Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Boston, MA
My opinions are my own.  At least I think they are.