From:
Kramer & Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:44:21 -0500

I would like to say thank you to everyone who responded to my
questions.  Sorry it took so long to get this summary out but I didn't
want to miss any replies.

Well, the results are in and Heinz seems to lead the way but with a
*BIG* warning.  Recently on the list, someone posted "I spoke with Heinz
yesterday and they said they could not guarantee their pickles Gluten
Free."  This corresponds to what I have heard elsewhere in that Heinz
uses their own vinegar until they run out, and then they'll buy it from
someone else.  As long as it is their own it's safe but there is no way
to tell which vinegar it is when you buy it.  So be careful.

Bubbies and Cascadian Farms also proved to be popular choices.
"Cascadian Farms pickles (and sauerkraut) are gf.  The vinegar is made
from wood.  I think they are located in Oregon." and "Bubbies pickles
are gf - available in either health food stores or Jewish
delicatessens."  There were several suggestions for kosher pickles; I
have included three.

Several people suggested making my own using either rice vinegar or
cider vinegar.  "I haven't found store bought pickles I consider safe.
Any good cook book would have a recipe for refrigerator pickles which
don't have to be canned.  They are not too hard to make."  I think I'll
give that a shot.  The same goes for baby food -- those replies are
further down the list.  I hope this helps.

Linda

Other replies --

Kosher
Pickles  -- Look in the Kosher section for kosher pickles. they are almost
*always* in salt water. period. Label just says "cucumbers, salt, water"
Mount Olive pickles are GF.  My husband has been eating them almost a
year now without any problems.

If you have access to a Trader Joes, I believe they carry some brined
pickles. I think that 'Bubbies" kosher dills are also just brined.

I called up  Vlassic pickles and was told they are g f. So is
Mrs.Fannings pickles.

cains pickles are ok

From page 22, the CSA/USA Cooperative Gluten-Free Commercial Products
List, 3rd Edition (there is now a 4th Edition recently out).
PICKLES:
11/96 Mrs. Fannings: Bread'n Butter Pickles
11/96 Pickle Eaters: Baby Dills Gherkins; Chips with Honey; Kosher Dill &
No Salt; and  Kosher Spears
Zorba: Giardiniera Mixed Vegetables; Pepperoncini Pickled Peppers
RELISH:
02/95* Heinz: Sweet Relish
11/96: Pickle Eaters: Corn; Piccalilli & Sweet Pickle
01/97: Walnut Acres Organic Farms: Relishes; Walnut Acres Zucchini Relish

Batampte makes  pickles that is half sour and sour in the
refrigerator/dairy section of the supermarket.  Read the ingredients,
one is not in vinegar but in water.

Baby food replies --

For the baby food, I recommend a clean coffee grinder (unless you have a
grain mill) and one of those baby food grinder things The baby food
grinder will handle any relatively soft table food.  The coffee grinder
will turn brown rice and nuts and seeds into instant baby cereal (you
could also cook rice and put it through the baby food grinder, but I
find it tends to stick).  If you can't find the baby food grinder,
blenders work too.  Freeze the extra in ice cube trays so you can
defrost a serving at a time.

I would buy frozen veggies, cook off a bag, put the cooked veggies
through the food processor and freeze them in ice cube trays.  Once
frozen I bagged them.  To serve I microwaved them to heat.  They travel
well that way for day trips too.

Most earth's best baby food. check the label for oats.

Just on a chance, you might try the Heinz Infant Nutrition web site
www.heinzbaby.com.

Gerber will send you a list of their GF baby foods if you call the
number on the bottle.  Gerber is what I serve my 9 month old son (I have
CD, him?) and we haven't had any problems.