From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2011 10:59:49 -0700

Dear Listmates,

Always the experimenters, we wanted to see what would happen if we blended a
serving of gluten-free steel cut oat oatmeal into gluten free bread. Our
philosophy is that we need to be prepared to feed our garbage disposal with
any of the unsuccessful bread experiments we do. (You never see these.)
Although adding a baked potato to bread was highly successful, adding a
whole 7-1/2 ounce serving of left-over oatmeal was a departure. Just for the
record, a serving of GF steel cut oats oatmeal contains 1 cup of water (at
least to start with), 1/4 cup steel cut oats, a handful of raisins, several
good shakes of cinnamon, and some sugar. Adding this much moisture and
sticky oats to a recipe of bread was a risk.

The result: amazingly good. The bread was relatively soft the next day for
breakfast (24 hours after baking with no refrigeration) and was quite edible
at room temperature, particularly with home made berry preserves. The bread
had a nice crumb and was not crumbly. It had an oaty flavor with a hint of
cinnamon, and it was slightly sweet. The bread would also be nice with
Havarti or Fontina cheese or maybe a baby Swiss. But if you are expecting a
fluffy texture like a typical rice bread, this bread is not the bread for
you. This bread is substantial with quite a bit of whole grains and fiber.
You can see it here: http://bit.ly/GF_Bake (equivalent to
http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking ). Look in the breads section.
This bread is marked with a red chevron ( > ).

But adding the Gluten Free Oatmeal is just an option. We've been working on
the basic high protein white bread recipe for quite some time, and this
version is our latest. We've lightened it up a bit - gone are the egg yolks,
nearly half of the oil, and half of the sugar - with very little loss in
taste and no change in texture. The recipe has been updated to show where to
buy Expandex or substitute around it if you can't find it.

Please let us know if this works for you.

Vic and Hallie - Sunnyvale, Ca