From:
Deborah Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 13:29:16 -0500

I received several good responses to the question on why the agriculture
community would be concerned about the Food Allergen Consumer Protection
Bill. They are closely related to the Food Manufacturers and they are
allies to one another's business concerns.  Anything that would limit a
consumer market ,such as food allergens in a product, might move a
manufacturer to use another product.  It's interesting that people perceive
a change in product ingredient because they fear people will surface that
won't use their product anymore.  It seems to me that anyone with an
allergy or celiac disease is already not using a product with an offending
ingredient.  Also some see a warning label on a package as just negative
advertising for their grain.  They point to the beef and egg industry and
the cho
lesterol issue and they don't want their business impacted in the
same way.  As the Celiac community grows, I hope businesses will see a
market to be served and discover that those ingredient labels will bring
business to them and ,as consumers become better informed, an insufficient
label will be a product put back on the shelf. Who feels like taking a
chance on being sick today?  In response to the web address to read the
Food Allergen Consumer Protection Act Bill.  Go to htpp://thomas.loc.gov/
Type in Food Allergen Consumer Protection in the search area.  That will
give you the House and Senate versions.  Lastly, someone from Australia
informed me that they have passed a similar bill in Australia that will go
into effect Dec. 21, 2002.  THREE CHEERS for the Australians!  If anyone
hears of the date the bill will be marked up in the Senate let us know.