From:
Valerie Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:01:03 -0700

Dream of it.  Eat lasagne & take a pill w/o getting sick.  Now that would
be a dream come true!
        I have my doubts that a gluten/gliadin splitting enzyme pill will ever
prevent a celiac from reacting to gluten.  I would think the enzyme would
have to completely mix with & totally digest ALL the gluten/gliadin in
the food before the gluten/gliadin comes in contact with the mucous
membranes of the GI track.  Once a person has become sensitized to
gluten/gliadin, very tiny amounts can cause a reaction in any part of the
GI track in a very short period of time.  I've heard of some celiacs
reacting almost instantly to an accidental ingestion.  I seriously doubt
an enzyme that is swallowed before or during a glutenous meal could work
fast enough to prevent the gluten/gliadin from coming in contact with the
mucous membranes.  I hope I'm wrong.  It seems to me that the enzyme
would have to be mixed with the gluten containing food before it even
enters the mouth.
        May be, just, may be, the pill could prevent a non reactive, but
genetically predisposed person from becoming a celiac by reducing the
overall exposure to gluten in the first place.
        I think what might work better, would be a drug that somehow targets the
part of the immune system that reacts to gluten/gliadin.  Something like
an antihistamine for allergies or a immune suppressor for autoimmune
inflammatory conditions.  But I can't imagine something like that being
safe to use long term.  Antihistamines & immuno suppressive drugs are
laden with unpleasant & harmful side effects.  I doubt a drug that
suppresses the specific autoimmune reaction in celiac would be any safer
or more pleasant.
        But ... who know?  We need more research.
        I hope the possibility of such products attracts the attention of
pharmaceutical companies.  If it does & they see it as potentially
profitable, then tons of $$$$$ will pour in for celiac research.  That in
turn will mean more education about celiac disease reaching the dulled
ears of American doctors.  When the drug reps start coming into clinics
and continuous education seminars & telling the doctors that they have a
new pill for celiacs and that celiac disease is really a very, very
common disease, that will make doctors more eager to seek out celiacs
among their patients.  And that would definitely be a good thing!
        Any opinions or comments?        ~Valerie in Tacoma, WA

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.