From:
Michael Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 14:32:23 GMT

> It occurred to me that if there was a medical emergency and I was
> alone, unable to communicate, no one could tell the hospital, medics,
> etc. that I have celiac sprue and need a gluten free diet and drugs.

A few years back, I researched the issue.  Here is what we came up with:

        Celiac Sprue
           on
        Gluten Free Diet

The Medical Alert people would not allow me to use my first choice of:
Celiac Disease on a Glaidin-Restricted Diet.

These are some assumptions that are in place with the use of the alert
notice.

Unless you are one of the few that goes into shock due to a "true
allergic reaction", in a crisis the medication will not be evaluated.
The medical staff will do everything required to stablize you.  Luckily
most of these items would be GF.

The alert is a means of getting the staff to determine what is the
meaning of the words celiac and gluten free.  Since it is not spelled
out that well in most medical texts, the probability of error is great.
Also, many references incorrectly list wheat starch as appropiate.

As with any medical stay, it is important to get a family member to the
hospital to assist in obtaining GF medications and foods.

Not medical advise but words to use in evaluationg your personal
condition.

There are several brands of bracelets available and an associated cost
ranges.  I have found that having two is a good concept.   One for
dress and one for working in the yard.  The yard one costs around
$10.00 and is my recommendation for children.

The information on the different companies is in the logfiles, but
anyone can reply directly to me and I will find the addresses.

----
Michael Jones ([log in to unmask]) Orlando, FL USA
Visit the Celiac WEB site at:
http://rdz.stjohns.edu/library/medic/celiac/index.html