From:
Colby Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 1998 12:19:17 -0700

The basic summary on tuna is BEWARE.  Try to find tuna packed in just water
or oil and maybe some salt - this is true for canned salmon too.  The
problem with most canned tuna is that it has HVP (hydrolyzed vegetable
protein) that might contain gluten or vegetable broth that also might have
gluten in it.  Here are some of the suggestions on brands of tuna that are
GF.  I haven't checked these out with manufacturers or with my intestines,
so please check them carefully before eating.

Tongol (buys at Fresh Fields/Whole Foods & Safeway - my Safeway didn't carry it)
Starkist (one person uses the one packed in distilled water)
Bumblebee
Trader Joes (just has tuna, water & salt)

One person looked it up in their GF guide:

My local shopping guide says the following are GF:
Bumble Bee - All
Chicken of the sea - Salmon/Tuna all
Crown Prince - Salmon pink/red
S&W - Salmon Red Sockeye, Tuna chunk light (water)
Season Products Corp. - Salmon blueback, med.red, pink, tall pink, tall
med. Tuna - white in oil/water, no salt white/light
Star Kist - Tuna all
Walnut Acres - Salmon/Tuna

Note:  obviously the tuna packed with crackers is not GF!!!

One person mentioned that all tuna has casein in it, which can be a problem
for some people.  She puts the tuna in a strainer and rinses it off and said
it is usually ok.

When ordering at restaurants be careful because it will be very difficult to
ensure that you are getting GF tuna.

Colby Ray
Bellevue, WA