Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:55:48 EST

I did not get many responses but several requests to summarize.  I figured I
would wait until after my trip and let you know my experience.

Austin Grill was suggested a few times- it is a local chain with a gf menu
Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and MOMs (My Organic Market) were suggested as
stores.

I had dinner at Clydes, located on M Street without any problems.  I ordered
a burger w/o the bun and the fries are made fresh with no flour added.  Clydes
is known for its burgers and I must say it was one of the best burgers I've
had!

Lunch the next day at Peacock Alley (or something "Peacock")
I would not recommend- waiter had an attitude, looked at me like I was crazy,
and rolled his eyes when I ordered coffee.  All they had were sandwiches and
stuff so I just had a grilled chicken sandwich without the bun.  Although I
didn't get sick, I definitely would not go back

Brunch the next day at The Tombs (also owned by Clydes)
The waitress seemed attentive and concerned about my needs....I had an omelet
and hash browns without any problems, she double checked with the chef on
everything.  I was on a train for 4 hours immediately after and I was fine.

Note: all of these restaurants are located in Georgetown, there are a lot of
great restaurants in DC, but I did not go outside of the gtown area since I
was visiting my cousin on campus.
Georgetown has great shopping, and Clydes is located on M Street, the main
street with all of the shops, so I would say that would be your best bet,
although it is usually crowded.

Hope this helps!

~Eleis in NY