From:
Becky Ilog <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Becky Ilog <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:22:02 -0500

My 10th grade daughter is taking a class in school called Food and
Nutrition.  They'll be making soft pretzels soon in class and her teacher
asked me if I had a recipe.   I didn't and the Archives only had a
recommendation for Miss Robens mix. So, I adapted a recipe I found at
Robbie's Recipes:   http://recipes.robbihaf.com - a really great recipe
site.  She has a lot of 'copycat' recipes for dishes from restaurant
chains.  I will definitely be trying/adapting more of them.

I adapted her recipe called "Soft Pretzels like Auntie Anne's".  It turned
out great and they disappeared quickly.  My non-GF husband liked them too.

GF Soft Pretzels - modified from recipes.robbiehaf.com's "Soft Pretzels
like Auntie Anne's"
=================
2 pkgs of active dry yeast
1 and one half cups of water at 110 degrees F
1 teaspoon brown sugar
dash salt
2 cups brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1 cup potato starch
4 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 Tablespoon baking soda
half cup warm water
1 cup real butter, melted
Toppings (See below)

Mix first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Rest for 5 minutes.

Mix rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch, xanthan gum in a medium bowl.
Put half the flour mixture into the
yeast mixture.  Mix with a hand electric mixer on low speed until all
ingredients mixed in.  Add the other half
of the flour. Mix with the mixer til well combined. Do not overbeat.

Grease a bowl with crisco or a few teaspoons of vegetable oil.  Transfer
the dough to this bowl and turn dough
over so that it is greased on all sides. Cover with a damp towel.  Let rise
in a warm place for 1 hour.

Grease a large cookie sheet.  Preheat oven to 550 degrees F.  Mix baking
soda and 1/2 cup warm water in a shallow pan (a round
cake pan works well).

Divide dough into 8 equal pieces.  Gently roll each into a rope with your
hands and/or on waxed paper.  The dough is fragile
and will come apart easily so rest the parts that are not between your
hands on the waxed paper so that it is supported.
Shape the rope into a pretzel shape.  If parts of the dough feel dry, put a
few drops of the baking soda water on your hands.
Dip each pretzel in the baking soda/water, then lay them on the greased
cookie sheet.

Bake 7-8 minutes. They will be a faint tan but not brown.  Remove cookie
sheet from oven when done.  Dip each pretzel in the
melted butter and place on a plate.  Sprinkle generously with topping.
Eat immediately.

Toppings:  For salted pretzels, use sea salt, Kosher salt or pretzel salt.
For cinnamon sugar pretzels, use 1/2 cup of sugar and 1 teaspoon
of cinnamon mixed together.  For Parmesean pretzels, sprinkle with a
mixture of 1/4 cup of parmesean cheese and 1 teaspoon of garlic
salt.

Becky in Va.
NOTE:  The information contained in this message may be privileged and
confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer.
VCU Health System
http://www.vcuhealth.org