From:
Perenpros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 18:43:34 EST

Since my initial post about eating oats, several list members have written to
me about obtaining oats that are not contaminated by wheat.  Frankly, I had
never thought about that and would be curious to know why people think rolled
oats would be contaminated by wheat.

Anyhow, at my local grocery store, Sunset Foods in Northbrook, Illinois there
is a small health food department with bins of bulk prodcuts. At 89 cents a
lb. you can buy rolled oats from :

               Heartland Mills
               Rte 1, Box 2
                Marienthal, Kansas 67863
               316-379-4472

I called the company and they assured me there was no way the oats would come
in contact with wheat or be put in machnery that processed wheat.  If this is
a concern to you, you can contact them and discuss this or find out where you
can get their oats locally.

In my store, there is virtually no chance of bin contamination.  They don't
sell bulk flour, each bin has its own scoop on a short wire, and there were no
gluten products near by.

I hope this is helpful.   Diane Smith