From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2013 17:34:57 -0400

To Celiac listserv and others who cared...

Much ado about nothing.  Not quite. The doctor is the one who got this ball rolling.   I got an email today telling me to go online to for my pathology results.  If I understand the language, what the doc saw with his scope camera was not what the pathologist saw through a microscope.  Putting aside a lot of medical school language, 3 things leapt off the page, that were in plain English.
1. No malignancy seen.
2. No diagnostic abnormalities.
3. No evidence of celiac disease.

I'm not sure why the doctor told me my villi were flat and gone (which we know drastically increases the probability of lymphoma), but it was a premature observation, and I spent a week being borderline (some say I crossed it!) paranoid.

Bottom line.  Wait for actual pathology report, when you get a test done, and don't rely on first impressions.

I was considering one option that no-one came up with, that maybe I got glutened awhile ago (it happens) and was in the process of healing....So I was ready to ask for a follow up in a few months.....But now, that's not necessary.  (He saw no inflammation and my bloodwork for all sorts of things, including celiac, was fine.)

There is nothing to add to the partial summary I put on the listserv last week.  Most of the responses I got were anecdotal, and wanted to know what I learned.

However, for those who do think they shifted to refractory sprue, as I did (something many of us dread), despite adhering strictly to a gluten-free diet, I suggest this article that I found online.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/710/1/Refractory-Sprue-by-Michelle-Melin-Rogovin-University-of-Chicago-Celiac-Disease-Program/Page1.html

And if you're not healing, be sure to look up SIBO and the breath test, and look into other food sensitivities or allergies, which may effect the villi.  Several of you suggested this.

I'm not sure if I should be mad at the doctor or just plain relieved.  I think I'll go with the latter!!!   Thank you to all of you who put up with me...and for the week of hugs.