From:
Lowell Pepper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:33:33 EST

Dear Celiac List readers:

This is a summary of the many replies I got to my question of "Am I a
celiac?"  Almost without exception it was felt that I indeed am a celiac.
I was reminded that continued experimenting to confirm the diagnosis would
increase the risk of  cancer of the small intestine and additional testing
was unecessary. Some felt I was in "denial" that the diagnosis was correct.
I think we can all be suspect of any doctor's diagnosis when it comes to
problems with the gut. Particularly when the majority of doctors do not
identify Celiac Sprue.  Many of the replies were from people who had the same
doubts as me. An unusual observation was that more than 3/4 of the replies
came from women.   LP