From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2006 18:31:31 -0500

I've been getting questions in response to last week's posting about how to interpret labels on Passover foods. So I did some more research.

I found out the answer about kitniot. None of the websites' interpretations said anything about wheat, oats, barley, or rye. They did say that if Kosher for Passover product says that it does not contain kitniot, it means no corn, soy, corn syrup, dextrose (presumably from corn) or legumes. (Please don't beat me up if your rabbi disagrees with this description. I know there are different interpretations. I saw peanuts on the list too, but I grew up using peanut oil for Passover. Go figure.)

And I found an actual definition of non-gebrochts.
Gebrochts is a Yiddush word meaning "broken". No-one knew the connection.
The practice of not eating gebrochts is
"an additional strictness that some observe during Pesach (Passover), to avoid eating any matzah product that has come into contact with liquid after being baked."

So again, on a Kosher for Passover label, it's gluten-free if it has
no matzah
no matzah meal
no matzah farfel
no cake meal
no gebrochts
(all relevant spellings apply).

No kitniot, I'm sorry to say, does not seem to help us at all, unless you're allergic to corn and soy...and maybe peanuts.

No responses, please. If you have any additional questions, searching the web is your best resource. Happy holiday, whatever you celebrate. Thank you.
Lin