From:
Chris Silker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 22:17:28 -0500

Hi all. I have a medical question that I'd like to get some opinions on.
After 9 months GF, bout 5 weeks ago I started to get diarrhea (not a
pre-diagnosis symptom). I carefully re-examined my diet and removed suspect
items, to no avail. Went in to the GI folks in week 3 (unfortunately, my
regular dr is on maternity leave). They ran some tests. Just got the
results - normal IgA and IgG, normal fecal fat, no sign of
antibiotic-induced problems, etc. All normal. The GI thinks I should go in
for another endoscopy (I had one in December to confirm my diagnosis). Last
week I quit taking myocyclin (for rosacea) and Dapsone (for DH), and my
diarrhea seems to be slowly improving. I'd like to wait a bit longer to see
if this clears up - right now, based on my antibody tests, I don't think an
endoscopy is warranted.

What I'd like to know - do you think an endoscopy is warranted in this
situation? Have you had similar reactions for a mild antibiotic or Dapsone?
I'm taking Paxil, but was taking it for over 3 months before this started.
Plus my dose has been increased during all this, and nothing got worse, so
I don't think the Paxil is the culprit. I also tried removing lactose from
my diet for a week or so - no effect.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Chris Silker
Plmouth MN