From:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:24:27 -0500

Cindy:  An upper endoscopy is a logical next step.  This will tell you
whether there is tissue damage in the intestine.  Chronic constipation
can be a sign of Celiac disease.  Chronic constipation can also in and
of itself be a cause of chronic abdominal pain.  In the pediatric group
chronic constipation also causes children to not want to defecate (due
to the pain of passing a hard stool), so there are two problems in this
case that need to be addressed.  I find that Magnesium oxide is a very
well tolerated laxative in children.  For a 7 year old a half tablet
once or twice a day with meals would be a good starting dosage.  Side
effect is loose stool.  If the child has developed reluctance to
defecate (and with a kid who asks for a gluten free diet you have a kid
sophisticated enough he will tell you if it hurts when asked) the
laxative should be used and the dose increased to get the stool soft
and stay soft to loose for a week or two.  Once the child is going
without reluctance the dose can be decreased to allow a soft but not
loose stool.  That will deal with the constipation.

The positive antibody needs endoscopic followup.

Stephen Holland, M.D.