From:
Ron Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:01:01 -0500

  GLUTEN FREE LIPSTICK - THIRD AND FINAL SUMMARY

This is the third and final summary from my earlier inquiry on qluten

free lipstick.  I have received many contacts, often with conflicting

comments.  As with any gluten free product, it is best to contact the

supplier, and check the ingredients of any lipstick that you use.

One listmate stated that she used Clinique lipsticks that are GF.

This conflicts with one listmate from the second posting.  She also

stated that she uses Neutrogena Lip Boost, and MAC (made by

Estee Lauder that are gluten free.  She also suggests going to

http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac and click on Gluten-Free

Products Lists - and then health and beauty.

Another listmate said that she gave up on Clinique after she found

out that not all brands were gluten free.  She now uses

Neutrogena and Blistex's lip Tone that are both gluten free.

After contacting Johnson & Johnson, they suggested that anyone

could visit www.neutrogena.com to explore products of interest, or

to contact the company directly with your inquiry.

In our second summary, one listmate said she had been using Avon

for four years with no problem, but another listmate stated she

received an e-mail from them stating that they do not consider any

of their lipsticks to be guten free.  If you are using Avon, it would be

best to contact them directly to be sure.

I had five individual messages that told me that the previous posts

were very helpful to them.  I am happy my research has helped

someone besides myself.

Following is a list of comments I received either from e-mail

inquiries, or from telephone conversations with lipstick producers.

I talked with a MAC representative of Estee Lauder.  The following

is a list of their gluten free lipstick.  Cream, Glaze, Satin, Sheer and

Matte.  She says to go to their website www.maccosmetics.com

to see the different shades in these groups.  Click on Products, and

then go to Lips.

On the second summary dated February 3rd, from Estee Lauder

regarding the inquiry to Clinique, it was confusing to me about the 6

lipsticks they listed as GF.  I talked with the company today and they

said the following lipsticks are gluten free:

            Long Last Soft Matte lipstick

            Different lipstick

            Almost lipstick

            Colour Surge lipstick

Stay the Day Lipcolor

Moisture Sheer lipstick

Wet-N-Wild was bought out by Markwins International Corp of

California.  (1-800-626-8878).  I called them on March 15, and left

my questions on products on their answering machine.  They have

not yet answered by phone or by e-mail.

Elizabeth Arden - The representative would not allow me to say

that they have two lines of lipstick that are GF.  They both have

Corn & Lanolin ingredients.  She will send out a list of the

ingredients, and if your doctor says they are GF,  then it's ok to

post on the internet for other celiac users.

Dr Murray, a professor at Mayo Clinic that specializes in Celiac

Sprue, told my daughter when she met with him after a

Conference  that one would have to put on lipstick every hour

for it to be a problem with a celiac patient.

Some people are more sensitive than others to chemicals, drugs or

foods, so they have to be very careful what they eat or put on their

their skin.  If you have sjogren, then your lips are dry and could

become cracked, and have sores on them.  I have RA and

Sjogen and it is hard to tell if it is the lipstick or the disease.  My

Doctor recommends Herpecin-L for my lips.  It is a shelf item along

with other lip balms.  Vitamin E also helps a lot.  I cut the end of a

capsule off, and rub it on my lips.

I received an e-mail from Vitalife that has organic skin and hair care

products.  They will be listing gluten free lipsticks and other GF

cosmetics at http://www.onegroup.com.  Their website listed many

gluten free cosmetics that may be of interest to celiacs.

Some people are more sensitive that others to chemicals, drugs or

foods, so they have to be very careful what they eat or put on their

their skin.  If you have sjogren, then your lips are dry and could

become cracked, and have sores on them.  I have RA and

Sjogen and it is hard to tell if it is the lipstick or the disease.  My

Doctor recommends Herpecin-L for my lips.  It is a shelf item along

with other lip balms.  Vitamin E also helps a lot.  I cut the end of the

capsule of and rub it on my lips.

Betty Jackson

Knoxville, Tennessee