From:
Andrea Frankel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 15:37:24 -0700

Linda in R.I. stated that "You can not make ice cream or puddings
from soy milk."  Why not?  I have.

Basic pudding consists of milk, sugar, starch, and flavorings.  As
long as you can find a starch you can tolerate and a sweetener you
can tolerate, and a milk substitute, and appropriate flavorings,
just use any recipe from a basic cookbook and you're set.  Cornstarch
is traditional for vanilla or chocolate pudding, but others will work
(although the texture may be a bit different from what you're used to
- for a while, when I was reacting to corn, I used potato starch in
everything, which can get downright gluey!)  We've got rice starch,
tapioca starch, and others to play with - something should work for you.

If your daughter can tolerate eggs, or at least the egg whites, you can
bake egg custards using soy milk, and they're quite tasty.

As far as "ice cream" goes, I bit the bullet a couple of years ago and
bought a Vita-Mix machine.  Their recipe for vanilla ice milk and similar
desserts calls for freezing the milk in ice cube trays, and using the
"milk cubes" with fluid milk, sugar, and flavorings to make a soft-serve
type of ice milk.  This won't work with most blenders, which take too long
and give you a melted milkshake (if that).  With the Vita-Mix, it's just
pow-pow-pow and it's done.  You can use soy milk this way.  I've even
used a combination of frozen rice milk cubes plus tofu for the "liquid"
portion, for a smoother dessert.

Oh, and a tip I gleaned from Eating Well magazine some time back - you
can add a bottle or two of marshmallow creme (also called marshmallow
fluff) to a low-fat frozen dessert recipe to give it smootheness and
body.  I made some coffee "ice cream" using Lactaid-100 frozen cubes,
marshmallow creme, instant coffee, and vanilla bean that was heavenly,
and satisfied my frustrated longing for coffee Hagendasz ;@)

Read all labels, of course.  If you decide to make your own equivalent
for marshmallow creme, a cooked or Italian style meringue works well.

Have fun!

Andrea Frankel, [log in to unmask]  (note new address!)   (916) 274-1921
Snail: Flying Dog Ranch, 11864 Deer Park Dr., Nevada City, CA 95959-8921
".

I believe it is oil based, but I no longer have thrning brings..."