Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:07:31 -0600

I, too, have been following the news reports about the
recent epidemiological studies on acid-reducers, and I share
the concerns expressed below, especially since I take them
regularly.

However, I would like to point out that untreated acid
reflux disease significantly increases one's chances of
getting esophageal cancer, and untreated ulcers may also
cause serious health problems.  I take Prilosec (and would
take Aciphex, which works even better for me, if my
insurance covered it, which it doesn't since Prilosec went
otc) because the prednisone I have to take to stay alive
gives me ulcers otherwise.  I have tried several
alternatives, and nothing else works for my particular
condition.

Granted, the stomach infection detailed in the referenced
study sounds scary (although even the abstract states that
"It was completely unexpected and
probably unpreventable"), and pneumonia is no piece of cake,
but
given my choice of pneumonia or esophageal cancer, I'd take
pneumonia (and this is coming from someone with asthma!).

Perhaps a caveat ought to be added that the risks of
acid-reducers ought to
be taken seriously, but that there are *some* conditions for
which the benefits of taking the drug outweigh the risks.

I agree that it's irresponsible for the drugs to be
marketed otc when they carry serious risks.  In the last
year or two, several drugs approved by the FDA and in
circulation have been removed from the market due to deaths
or other serious risks.  However, It's a hard issue, and I
don't think it's black-and-white.

It's difficult to balance the need to have those drugs such
as breakthrough cancer treatments on the market quickly with
the need for drug safety.  I fear that one of the results of
the new
laws that allow the FDA to market drugs more quickly and
with less study has been such incidents.

Just my two cents.
Thanks for listening.

Suzanne