From:
Miki Tracey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miki Tracey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:55:54 -0400

My Comments
---
The comparisons to Ortho Tri-Cyclen have me a bit nervous, but it is so
much better than nothing that i decided to give it a try.  it IS gluten
free (my apologies to clan thompson, i love your product, i didn't mean to
make you jump up and get the info, i just assumed somebody out there had it
already).  It is Mixed whether it is latex free, but i don't have a latex
allergy (otherwise it would have been a very different couple of
years).  Plus, I use the insulin pump, so i've already got stuff stuck to
me, so it's not even special that way.

I worry because i was on super mega low dose pills because of emotional and
physical reactions to the normal levels of the drugs used.  So i ask that
you cross your fingers for me.

Summary below.
---

Informational response which recommended further research.
---
I'm not a woman, but have a few answers and comments for you. First, I've
looked at the PDR, and there should be no gluten in the patch drug
ingredients or the adhesives. Second, gluten should not be absorbable
through the skin in any event (see other people's posts on this--the
protein is simply too large to be absorbed through the skin). That said,
this is a large patch (20 sq cm), and you'd be wearing one patch in the
same place for a week, changing the patch once a week for three weeks
(rotating through different patch sites) and going patchless for one week.

Here's the content description for the patch:

ORTHO EVRA" is a combination transdermal contraceptive patch with a contact
surface area of 20 cm 2 . It contains 6.00 mg norelgestromin and 0.75 mg
ethinyl estradiol (EE), and releases 150 micrograms of norelgestromin and
20 micrograms of EE to the bloodstream per 24 hours.
ORTHO EVRA" is a thin, matrix-type transdermal contraceptive patch
consisting of three layers. The backing layer is composed of a beige
flexible film consisting of a low-density pigmented polyethylene outer
layer and a polyester inner layer. It provides structural support and
protects the middle adhesive layer from the environment. The middle layer
contains polyisobutylene/polybutene adhesive, crospovidone, non-woven
polyester fabric and lauryl lactate as inactive components. The active
components in this layer are the hormones, norelgestromin and ethinyl
estradiol. The third layer is the release liner , which protects the
adhesive layer during storage and is removed just prior to application. It
is a transparent polyethylene terephthalate (PET) film with a
polydimethylsiloxane coating on the side that is in contact with the middle
adhesive layer.

I've used testosterone patches of a similar size. They were changed daily,
and I found that after only 24 hours my skin was irritated by the
adhesives. These are _strong_ adhesives--they have to stay on through
bathing, swimming, exercise, etc. If you have sensitive skin, this might
not be a good solution for you.

I also looked up the ring in PDR. Here's the content description:

NuvaRing® (etonogestrel/ethinyl estradiol vaginal ring) is a
non-biodegradable, flexible, transparent, colorless to almost colorless,
combination contraceptive vaginal ring containing two active components, a
progestin, etonogestrel
(13-ethyl-17-hydroxy-11-methylene-18,19-dinor-17(alpha)-pregn-4-en-20-yn-3-one)
and an estrogen, ethinyl estradiol
(19-nor-17(alpha)-pregna-1,3,5(10)-trien-20-yne-3, 17-diol). When placed in
the vagina, each ring releases on average 0.120 mg/day of etonogestrel and
0.015 mg/day of ethinyl estradiol over a three-week period of use.
NuvaRing® is made of ethylene vinylacetate copolymers (28% and 9%
vinylacetate) and magnesium stearate and contains 11.7 mg etonogestrel and
2.7 mg ethinyl estradiol. NuvaRing® has an outer diameter of 54 mm and a
cross-sectional diameter of 4 mm.

It, too, should be gf.

Obviously, none of this is medical advice--but the ring looks like it might
be more bearable. I don't know if Norplant is still available, but that
might also be an option.

Armed with this info--go back to your doctor and talk some more.

---

If you are allergic to Latex, beware!  I used HRT Patches for a while and
found that the patch had latex in them.  This resulted with very red raised
areas with bumps under the patch.  I'm not sure whether they have gluten in
them but speak with the Manufacturer.

---
I had the same issue - was taken off of the pill after diagnosis, as it
wouldn't be effective, and was making me sicker. I tried the ring, and was
not happy. I've been on the patch now for a month and have had no problems.
It is gluten free, as far as I know. I recommend it.

---
I checked when my son was diagnosed.  I sometimes wear it on my shoulder and
did not want him to touch it if it had gluten.  I was assured it was GF.

Here is a web site for it.
www.patchedin.com
---
I have been on it for one year and I talked to the lab technician and they
confirmed that it is gluten and latex free!!!

It is the best! I spotted for 4 years with the pill.  I have yet to spot
with this.  I cannot stop saying enough great things about this product.
---

My daughter says it is gluten free--the sticky stuff is latex.  The other
ingredients are hormones.  The ortho tri-cyclen pill is also gf except the
sugar pill on week four.  That can be skipped!

---

    I have been on Ortho Evra for about 8 months. I have absolutely no
problem with it. It also helps cysts from forming (for me, I mean)... It's
a hell of a lot better than remembering to take a pill everyday and
wondering if it has gluten in it!

---

I have been using it for about 9 months now and I LOVE IT!  The only real
problem I had was that for the first 2 days of each new month of the patch
I was horribly sick.  However, I had this same problem when I was on birth
control pills, so...

---

I don't have DH so I have no idea if it's gluten free.  I do get little
email updates from
the company (McNeill) and here's the website:
http://www.orthoevra.com/index.html
I do love my patch though.  I was getting terrible heartburn and leg cramps
with the
pill suddenly.  Not the blood clot kind though - so my Dr. said that your
body metabolises
this differently in the liver since it's gone through the skin instead of
digested.  Wierd - huh?
So now i'm on it and love it - no problems whatsoever.  It is a stronger
dose like
Ortho-tricyclene so I do get a little queasy feeling the first week of the
cycle - but it's
definately worth not having to worry about forgetting it,  or the heartburn!

Hope the website can connect you to someone - there is a Contact Us email
page to ask questions.