From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 2010 18:46:51 -0700

Hi Ginny,
I am posting to the list as others may be interested in this topic.

The phrase "gluten intolerant" is a rather nebulous term which is why I
try to avoid using it. I prefer to use 'gluten sensitivity'. The
sub-groups of gluten sensitivity are: gluten sensitive enteropathy
(otherwise known as celiac disease); non-celiac gluten sensitivity;
neuropathic gluten sensitivity, etc.
Gluten sensitivity is the term recommended by the world renowned celiac
researcher, Dr. Michael N. Marsh. The terminology I advocate is
congruent with Dr. Marsh's assertions and it provides some clarity, as
it often identifies specific sites of damage induced by gluten,
distinguishes between some subgroups, and allows even the novice to
accurately interpret some discussions of these topics.

The varying opinions on your biopsies may have been driven by just how
familiar or unfamiliar these physicians were with the Marsh system for
categorizing intestinal damage, which was developed by the same Dr.
Michael Marsh mentioned above. The Marsh system is gradually being
adopted throughout most of the industrialized world, as older
pathologists and gastroenterologists advance their understanding, and
the younger ones usually learn about the Marsh system during their
specialization training.

Of course, the terminology I recommend also makes it very clear that
there are a number of types of gluten-induced damage to various body
systems. Dr. Rodney Ford, on the other hand, has offered the term
'gluten syndrome' to incorporate the various groups of gluten
sensitivities into one group. I also subscribe to that choice of
terminology. Careful word choices in this regard are, I think, critical
to understanding the broader field of gluten sensitivity, and that
celiac disease is just one sub-set of a rather large and growing
continuum of illnesses that require a life-long gluten free diet.

Celiac disease has long been considered the most serious of this
spectrum and  other gluten sensitivities were considered "lesser"
ailments. However, Anderson et al recently published findings that
suggest that non-celiac gluten sensitivity may more frequently lead to
serious illness or death  than celiac disease (1). If confirmed by
further research, we may need to revise our opinions regarding where
celiac disease falls on the gluten sensitive spectrum.

I hope my comments serve to clarify this issue.
Best Wishes,
Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.

Source:
1. Anderson LA, McMillan SA, Watson RG, Monaghan P, Gavin AT, Fox C,
Murray LJ. Malignancy and mortality in a population-based cohort of
patients with coeliac disease or "gluten sensitivity". World J
Gastroenterol. 2007 Jan 7;13(1):146-51.

--
PK