Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 18:47:33 -0400

Here is the response I received regarding Sargento cheese products:

Thank you for your question. We're pleased to tell you that most
Sargento natural cheeses should be acceptable to a gluten-free diet.
There are, however, a few exceptions.
We do not recommend that anyone on a gluten-free diet eat Sargento Taco
Blend Shredded Cheese or Nacho & Taco Blend Shredded Cheese because
there is wheat flour in the spice mixture in those products. There is
also wheat gluten in Sargento Blue Cheese. Sargento Imitation Mozzarella
Shredded Cheese contains a modified food starch that may contain gluten.
Those on a gluten-free diet should also not eat the following Sargento
Snacks: Cheeze and Sticks, Cheeze and Pretzels, Cheeze and Crackers,
Strawberry and Sprinkles, Chocolatey Chip, or S'mores.
You will notice that we use microcrystalline cellulose, calcium
carbonate, or potato starch as anti-caking agents on our shredded
cheeses. When added to shredded cheese, they prevent the shreds from
sticking together.
Microcrystalline cellulose is a white, odorless, tasteless, totally
natural powder made from cellulose, a naturally occurring component of
most plants. Calcium carbonate and potato starch are also natural
ingredients. None of these anti-caking agents is derived from wheat,
rye, oats or barley; therefore, they are acceptable to a gluten-free
diet.
The source of vinegar in Sargento Ricotta Cheese can vary; however, it
is triple distilled, and, to the best of our knowledge, no gluten is
present.
We hope this information is helpful. If you have questions about how our
products may affect your medical condition, we suggest you discuss this
information with your physician.