From:
Aimee Rye <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aimee Rye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:29:02 -0500

Sorry I've taken so long to get Part 3 of this summary out, but I was
waiting on responses from the vendors that I questioned.  This is the
last one...(I think)...and I've posted the responses from some
vendors and from listmates as well.

Aimee Rye

**************************************

Response from Maybelline:

From: "Consumer Affairs, Maybelline" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Ref # 2620339

September 29, 2004

Thank you for contacting our company with your concerns regarding
ingredients and our products.

We do not have a list of products that do not contain grain.
However, all the ingredients we use in a product are listed on the
package or the label of the product itself.  Since some ingredients
are known by more than one name, we use the standard industry names
found in the International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary.

This dictionary lists FDA-approved names that are commonly used
throughout the cosmetics industry and are easily recognizable.  You
may research this information in the library or on the Internet.

If you would like to request an ingredient list, please call our
toll-free guideline at 1-800-944-0730, Monday - Friday, 10 am to 5
pm, ET, or write to us at the address below.

We hope this information helps you.

Sincerely,
Safety, Ingredient Advisor
Consumer Response Representative
Ref # 2620339

**************************************

From: P&G Consumer Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Thanks for contacting us. [Inquiry: 040928-000304]

Hi, Aimee.

We know Celiac is a serious disease, so we want to give you clear
information regarding the use of our beauty care products.  If wheat
and/or gluten aren't directly added to a product by us, these
ingredients won't be listed on our packages.  Like many companies, we
often purchase the scents for fragranced products from outside
suppliers, and the components of these substances are proprietary
information belonging to those companies. Therefore it's possible
that a very small amount (generally parts per million) of gluten may
be present.

We sought advice from physicians; they told us it would be very
unlikely a person with Celiac disease would have a reaction from a
trace amount of gluten coming into contact with his skin or hair.
This is because wheat, rye, barley and/or gluten generally cause
symptoms when they're ingested.  Since our beauty care products are
designed to be used externally on the skin, their use shouldn't be an
issue for someone with this disease.

Since gluten sensitivity can vary among people, it would be best if
you consulted with your physician about the use of all types of
consumable goods, if you haven't already.  You might even consider
using one of our fragrance free products that doesn't list gluten or
wheat extracts on the label.

Thanks for getting in touch with us.  We do not have a list of
gluten-free products, but I hope this response has been helpful to
you.  For more information about Celiac, you may want to check out
http://celiac.com/ and http://celiac.org

Ali
Max Factor Team

**************************************

From: Maureen O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: not all clinique gluten-free

Hi! I just saw your post on the celiac digest list and wanted to let
you know that Clinique products are NOT all GF. According the package
insert that came with my last Clinique bonus, Long Last Soft Shine
lipstick contains wheat, and their Water Therapy Firming Body
Smoother contains Soy protein (a big no-no at our house), hydrolyzed
vegetable protein, type not specfied, wheat germ extract and barley.

I realize that the likelihood of the gluten being absorbed through
the skin is small, but I do a lot of food preparation for 2 celiacs,
including a small child who still chews his finger nails. It isn't
worth the risk for us.

Straight into the trash they went!

Maureen

From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Summary: GF Skin/Hair/makeup Products List? (Part 1)

Hi,
I have had reactions to origins body creams.  Especially the ginger flavor.
Michele  definitely gluten reactions