From:
George & Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George & Gayle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 22:42:25 -0700

11.
I think the diseases that people got through organ or tissue transplants were communicable diseases.  Celiac is not a communicable disease.  I am also diabetic and I have signed up to be a donor and know that it's possible that they would not want the kidney of someone who has been diabetic for 32 years.  On the other hand, so far as I know, and I do have a lot of blood and urine tests, my kidney is fine.  I am assuming that they do some kind of medical history before they put an organ in someone else and make sure the organ is not damaged.  I'm thinking that maybe they could use my organs for research either regarding autoimmune diseases or the effects of the various medicines that I take.

12.  I have a child with celiac.  She is 10 years old and was diagnosed at age 3.  With all the hassles of the diet and difficulties with pizza parties etc., this disease is nothing compared to the liver disorder my son had.

8 years ago my son died of liver failure.  He was born with liver problems and the reader's digest version of events is that he passed away waiting for a transplant.

Let me assure you, a reasonably healthy loved one with celiac disease is much much much preferable to an ill loved one who is waiting or not getting a needed transplant.

I do not know if there are any legal barriers.  But assuming there are not and assuming that the recipient is aware of any potential risk (I really do not know if there would be any) of CD then I would go ahead and donate.  There are more people in need or organs than there are organs available.

13.
This is a good question. However, I personally do not think there is a chance of passing on the celiac to others because celiac is inheritated through a gene.
Only  my thoughts, though! Best to ask your doctor.

14. Frankly, I'd rather receive an organ of a Celiac than no organ at all. I
have my organ donar box checked and plan on leaving it checked. Celiac
should really not affect any organ we have.

15. Another thing to consider is to donate your body to a medical school.
> they
>> use it for a year and return the ashes to your family...no cost and
>> you're
>> doing a lot of good.  it's an option to expensive funerals.

16. My only question is.... would you rather be alive and have CD or be dead?

I know my answer. Not being negative in the least, so PLEASE don't take it
that way.

Organ donation is a WONDERFUL thing and I plan to donate anything that can
be used!

Thanks for bringing this subject up!

17.  Is Celiac Disease really so much worse than kidney failure?  or heart
failure?  et. al.

18.
I know it's not exactly the same, but I donate blood every two months (when my Celiac-affected iron levels are high enough, anyway).  They look up Celiac Disease in their reference manuals every time to ensure that it's not something for which I must be refused.  Since they'll take my blood, I would think that as long as the organs they are harvesting from me are in good condition they'll use those as well.  I've never heard of an intestinal transplant, and since that is my only organ currently damaged (so the doctors say), I'm assuming they'll take what they can, so I'm registered as an organ donor and figure they'll find some way to use my parts when I don't need them anymore!

I'm looking forward to your summary.  It will be interesting to hear what others think.  Hopefully you'll get a medically educated opinion .

19.  Good question.  You might try contacting one of the national transplant organizations or an online resource such as MEDLINE.  Please post whatever you learn;  I would certainly update my driver's license if my organs truly wouldn't qualify for donation.

Last summer I called the New York Blood Bank and verified that they are willing to accept my blood donation but NOT my blood marrow.  My GI seemed to agree that made sense.  Apparently blood marrow recipients have lost their immunities, so donors need to have excellent immune systems (i.e., no autoimmune conditions).

20. I asked my gastro about this a few years ago.  He said that the organs have
nothing to do with the Celiac reaction - it is the immune system.  Our
organs wouldn't cause a Celiac problem to anyone.