From:
Ruth Arcuri-Kovacs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:32:22 -0500

I apologize for bringing this topic up again -- there have been a few
postings about this subject lately.  But apparently I still don't
understand.

I am trying to organize a blood testing procedure at the regional
medical center where I work.  I thought  that the tests used by the
CFCR include the new tTg assay which detect anti-tTg antibodies very
reliably.  I had my blood drawn a week ago and mailed to CFCR. Have
heard nothing from them yet.

2 other women had their blood sent from our hospital on 2/7, however
we are puzzled by something told to them by one of the CFCR
researchers. I understood something different from my conversation
with a different person there. The person she spoke with said that
those who had been on a gluten-free diet would test negatively to the
tests being used by the study.  We understood that the tTg test is not
affected by diet while the gliadin antibodies are affected by GF diet.
And I thought the tests being done for the screening include the tTg
assay.

So ---  am I misinformed about diet and the tTg assay -- or about the
test being performed by the CFCR?  None of the 3 of us has been
biopsy - diagnosed, all of us have been on a GF diet for an extended
period. And I have distributed more info packets to families interested
in participating in this study and being tested. I need to get my facts
straight.  We all really were hoping that this newer test would more
accurately diagnose celiac and DH. And is there anywhere else we can go
in the Virginia (north'n Shenandoah Valley area, eastern W. Va) to have
the tTg assay performed (we are willing to cover the expense if that's
what it will take?)

Thanks in advance if someone can clarify this for us.

Ruth Arcuri-Kovacs