From:
Victoria Fricot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 10:36:34 EST

For anyone interested in the bleu cheese question maybe this will be of some
help.  I recieved this response recently from the Stilton cheese information
board.

vicki
Tampa

Date:   Monday, December 20, 1999 11:40:55 AM
From:   [log in to unmask]

Hello Victoria,

This question is asked quite often and we have sent the Stilton makers
on a fact-finding mission to find the answer. Unfortunately, I cannot be
definitive but only tell you what we know so far.

The only part of the Stilton process where bread would be involved would
be the creation of the blue mold -- Penicillium rouqueforti . Unlike
the Roquefort makers that "grow the mold" on rye bread and where the spores
are air borne the Stilton makers purchase the mold in liquid
form and add it to the pasteurized milk before it turns to curd.

We believe there is little reason to worry about Stilton since there
is so little in each bite that may affect you. However, we always encourage
anyone to check with their doctor if they are concerned before eating Stilton
or anything that may have a affect on them.

Thank you for stopping by,

Joanne Lenweaver

STILTON US Information Bureau

stiltoncheese.com