From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 20:15:51 -0400

Jane Winkenwerder wrote:

>(from CSA Commercial Products Book

Many of us have not purchased their book. We are basing our comments on the
"Basics for Gluten-Free Diet" page that appears in every issue of their
newsletter.

It starts out with this paragraph:

"The following guide for interpreting the clinical diet is based on the
grains, chemicals and natural or artificial ingredients found to be toxic
for celiac and dermatitis herpetiformis patients."

Now that seems pretty definitive to me in the way they have worded it.
While it doesn't specify gluten, I am not aware of any other substance that
has been "found to be toxic to celiac[s]".

Then further down there is a group with the heading "Grains to Avoids:". In
it they list quinoa, millet, buckwheat, and amaranth. Now buckwheat isn't a
grain, and it isn't even in the grass family. But putting these two
together certainly makes it appear that CSA considers these to be toxic to
celiacs.

Then further down they have "Oils to Avoid:" where they list canola. No
further explanation, so again one has to assume that it "has been found to
be toxic for celiac[s]".

This is what people want to see changed.

Don.