From:
Paul Kelty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:29:11 EDT

Has anyone got any suggestions for how to freeze bread and have it maintain
it's original texture and consistancy?

These were the replies that I got to my earlier post.  Thank you to all who
replied, Paul

 I usually make my bread and then let it room dry with no cover all night.
In the morning I slice it and put it into a zip lock bag.  I have had no
problem with it.  I have heard of some people wrapping it in foil then
putting it into a zip lock.  Make sure you try to get all the air out of the
bag before freezing.

After my bread cools, I slice it and place the pieces between wax paper and
put the in a ziplock bag.  When I take it out I always put it in the
microwave wrapped in a papertowel for 3 minutes for 2 slices at 30% power to
defrost.  If it is a little hard in the middle I add 30 seconds.  It comes
out great, but you have to make your sandwich right away and eat it right
away.

I freeze mine between waxed paper.  I do it as soon as it cools.  I
think it depends on the recipe whether it holds any of its texture.

Have you tried heating it in the microwave at 50% power? For example,
I usually run a frozen hamburger bun for 1.5 minutes at that setting,
and it turns out soft, not too warm, and very, very edible!

Hi, the best thing I have come up with is to freeze individual serving in a
plastic zip-lock sandwich bag. Take it from the freezer and microwave it. I
saw the tip on this list to over microwave the bread, can't remember who
suggested it, but I sure thank him for the tip. I have taken this suggestion
and played with it until I am really happy with my results. Always nuke the
bread while it is frozen, even if you won't be eating it till later. I leave
the bag zipped shut and microwave it on med high for a minute or two. I find
that usually when the bag pops open it is just right! I think what it does
is makes the bread tough, which is a disaster with wheat bread, but a big
plus with rice bread. Good luck, let me know if it works for you, and
anything else you learn, Linda

I have always frozen bread, as has my mom. I just microwave the frozen
slices a bit to defrost (about 20 seconds)?

Wouldn't we all!  NO, we find that toasting is required.  Oh well!

When I make bread I slice it and wrap each slice individually in foil.  Then
I freeze it in a plastic bag.  It does have to be toasted but the taste and
texture are good.

I make buns and after they cool, I slice them.  I put them in a freezer bag
and freeze them.  I take one bun out when I want one.  I split it and
microwave for 30-35 seconds.  It comes out soft and perfect for a sandwich.
Sometimes I spritz a little water on it.  Just a little.  Once in a while the
top part of the bun gets too moist from being microwaved.  So, after I make a
sandwich, I put it in the toaster oven and just slightly warm it to get the
excess moisture out.  It depends on the batch.

    When I make bread, I slice it and package it two slices to a zip-lock
bag.  I then put all those bags into another zip-lock bag and put the large
bag into the freezer.

    When I want a sandwich, I put the un-bagged bread into the microwave and
thaw it just until not frozen.  If it gets hot it loses texture.
    I hope these suggestions help you.  Of course, any of our breads left in
the freezer too long lose moisture and become dry and hard.

I don't know of any commercial bread that doesn't need toasted, frozen or
not.  The key to freezing anything is to keep the air away from it. That's
why sealing is so desirable. Try wrapping the bread in celophane wrap,
bagging it, squeeze out all the air, seal and freeze.

My father was in the bakery business.  First of all, most breads are frozon,
[and many cakes], even those supposed to be fresh.

there are two tricks for freezing bread and/or cake.  Slice it and place a
piece of wax paper between the slices.  This ensures easy removal.

Secondly, wrap well.  First wrap in wax paper [alum foil can shatter when
frozen and you get little spinlter os alum.  in your food...not good] and
then wrap very tightly in heavy duty freezer foil.  any air wil cause
freezer burn.

When the read is cool, wrap well with plastic wrap and then put in a freezer
bag.  I defrost the bread still wrapped and it seems much fresher.

I haven't had any problems freezing bread. I slice the bread after it cools
completely. Then I put the slices on a cookie sheet with saran wrap on it. I
freeze the bread until frozen on the sheet. Then I take the pieces and put
them in a gallon size freezer bag. That way it is easy to pull a piece or two
out at a time.

I take my bread right from the freezer and
warm it in the microwave when I'm ready to eat it.

I usually microwave mine a little and then toast it but you don't have to
toast it.

 I don't know whether you make your own bread or buy it already made.  I
make my own bread, then slice it and butter each slice.  I wrap each piece
in saran wrap and store all pieces in a Tupperware or Rubbermaid freezer
container. I take my bread right from the freezer and warm it in the
microwave when I'm ready to eat it.  I haven't used much bread that you buy
from health food stores,
so I hope this helps you.

When I take a slice of bread out of the freezer I usually microwave it for
about 10 - 12 seconds (experiment), even if I plan on toasting it.  It
usually becomes nice and moist, and has the same texture as a fresh slice.  I
should explain that the bread I'm referring to is a loaf I bake in the bread
baker (i.e.  Gluten Free Pantry favourite white bread).  As soon as it cools
I slice it immediately, put it in a baggy and freeze.  I don't know about
other store bought loaves.  Good luck with your experimenting.

I slice my bread with a slicing machine as soon as it has cooled and place
each slice in a baggie.  Slices are divided into two stacks which are each
covered with heavy foil and placed in the freezer.  Take out a slice or two
at a time, re wrap the rest  -- works for me......

have had good luck in freezing sliced bread by placing in Zip lock bags after
cooled.  To use defrost in microwave for approx 20-30 seconds.  Bread will be
warm and soft as thought it came from oven

 A while ago, somebody on the list suggested zapping loosely covered bread in
the microwave. This results in a soft edible texture for me. It takes 30-60
seconds, depending on the bread.

I use this recipe:
http://forums.delphi.com/n/main.asp?webtag=celiac&msg=901.14&Find=Find
and it works gread for freezing.

I use small round individual dishes, (I found small souffe dishes at a $
store at $l.00 each).  You need 18 of them.
and when they are cold, I cut them lenthwise in 2, put waxed paper between
them and freeze.

You dont need to toast them for sandwiches.