Date:
Thu, 8 Jan 1998 01:00:46 -0800

Hi list-mates,

   First off, I'd like to thank everyone who replied to me with their
known alcohols that are safe for us.  I've made up a web page that is
available at:

http://www2.netcom.com/~kane13/cda.html

  If you have trouble, or don't have access to the web, please e-mail me
and I'll send you a copy in e-mail.  (I think I'll just paste it in at
the end of this mail actually . . . )

   Second, I think that the list is FAR from complete!  If you have ANY
additions or changes you feel should be made, PLEASE e-mail me and I'll
make the changes.  The goal here would be to have as complete of a list
as possible so that we all may benefit from the combined knowldge.

   Also, I'd like to hear from the other side of the lake.  So far the
majority of my responses have come from Americans, but I know that
choosing the correct alcohol for our diet effects everyone from
Australia to England, and everywhere in between.  Ideally this page will
contain information for everyone around the world.  I have even included
price ranges on those bottles that I can so we know how exspensive each
item is too.

   Anyhow, enough of my rambling . . . but if you do have ANY
INFORMATION, please reply to this message or use the link on the page to
e-mail me!

Bill Kane
Normal, Illinois, USA, Earth, Milky Way, The Universe ;^)

P.S.  Here's the summary (I almost forgot it, DUH)

Disclaimer:  Most of the following information has not been researched
by myself, so some of it may or may not be wrong.  To be
safe double check anything that you feel may be wrong.  (If you do and
find it to be wrong, please e-mail me and let me know.)

     Brandy - Brandy, I am told, is distilled from grapes or other
fruits.  Where known, I have identified the source.
          Calvados [Apples]
          Grand Marnier

     Cider - Distilled from apples, presumed to be safe as long as no
grain alcohol has been added.

     Grappa - I am not sure if this is a brand name, name of alcohol or
what, but I am told it is a distilled wine which has no grain alcohol
content, but packs a punch.

     Mead - Mead is distilled from honey, so should be alright as long
as no grain alcohols are added to it.

     Rum - Rum is distilled from sugar cane.  I am told that light rums
should be free of gluten, however the heavier spiced rums may contain
gluten.  If you prefer spiced rums please contact the company to make
sure that any spices used are GF.  Otherwise it is safest to trust only
white rums.

     Sake - A wine distilled from rice, but may actually contain barely.

          Abigail Neuman wrote me the following:

          Miso--can be made using wither rice or barley
          Koji--can contain barley because it comes from Miso
          Sake--contains Koji (possible barley from the Miso used to
make the Koji)

          For more information please see Abigail Neuman's posting at:

http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9707E&L=celiac&P=R964

     Sherry - Some sherry's should be GF as they are distilled from
grapes, but I am told that some are fortified with grain alcohol to
make them more potent.

     Tequila - Tequila is distilled from agave.  It is only GF if it is
distilled from 100% agave or 100% blue agave, so look on the label.  As
with rum, only the silver (clear) colored tequila is presumed to be
safe as some of the colorings may contain gluten.  Some gold (dark)
tequilas are dark by aging.  These will be labeled as "anejo" on the
bottle and should also be GF.
          Herradura

     Vermouth - I am told that this is distilled from grapes.

     Vodkas - The majority of Vodka's are now distilled from grain,
however some brands are distilled from gluten free materials.  If
known, the material is listed in brackets.  Also for those that
crave flavored vodkas, I am told that you can split a vanilla bean
and leave it in the bottle.  It is reported that the same can be
said of citrus and berries, however, I am unsure how one would keep
the fruit from spoiling without refridgeration.
          Black Death [Beets] (reported at about $6.00 per 750ml in New
                               Mexico)
          Bushmans [Potato]
          Chopin [Potato] (reported to be exspensive @ 30 US dollars per
                           750ml)
          Glacier [Potato?]
          Luksusowa [Potato]
          Smirnoff [Corn]

     Wines -  In theory all wines should be safe for Celiacs.  I have
not heard of any that are not GF, however some people have complaned
that they are sensitive to sulfites or possibly the eggs used to
process some wines.

The following is information I found in the CSA/USA, Inc. Commercial
Products Listing 2nd Listing which was published in April
of 1996.  The dates following the information on each company are the
CSA's date their information was checked.  Listed items
are considered to be GF unless otherwise noted.

     Almaden: All Wines.  10/95
     Bacardi:  All.  1/95
     Bartles & James:  All Wine-Based Beverages and Champagnes are OK.
                       NOT Malt Beverages - Read Label Carefully
                       and NOT "Hornsby" draft cider.  10/95
     Boones:  Wine-Based Beverages -All.  NOT Malt Beverages - Read
                       Carefully.  10/95
     Carlo Rossi:  All Wines.  11/95
     Franzia:  All Wines.  11/95
     Gallo:  Chamagne and Wine - All EXCEPT Hornsby Draft Cider.  10/95
     Holland House:  All EXCEPT Teriyaki Marinade AND Smooth & Spicy
                       Bloody Mary Mix.  1/95
     Mr. & Mrs. "T":  All Except Bloody Mary Mix.  1/95
     Royal Mistic:  All Wines.  1/95
     Spice Islands:  Cooking Wines - Burgandy, Sherry and White.  2/96
     Sutter Home:  All Wines.  10/95
     The Wine Group:  All Wines.  11/95

I would like to thank the following people for their support and help
with maintaining this list (of course in alphabetical order):

CSA/USA, Inc.
Joy Ash
Rolf Meyersohn
Joseph Nathan
Abigail Neuman
Bobbi Proctor
Lisa Spivack
Nancy Trojanowski

Nota Bene:  This list is ment to be a complete list of alcohols that are
acceptable for persons living with Celiac Sprue to have.  If
you have any changes to be made to this list (updates, new additions, or
whatever), please contact me and let me know using the
following address:  mailto:[log in to unmask]