From:
Rebecca Herndon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 17:03:26 -0800

I have a lead on a potato starch based baking powder, but I haven't found a
source yet. It's called Featherweight, it's made by Estee food corp, and it's
sold in some health food type stores. Estee's phone number is 516/237-6200.
That's all I know.

If anyone knows of  a source for this product in San Francisco, please let
me know.

Here are a couple more baking soda mixes you could use instead, some of which
are lactose free. They may make a recipe too wet, though.

To equal 1 teaspoon of baking soda mix:

1/4 tsp baking soda plus 1/2 cup soured milk or soured buttermilk

OR

1/4 tsp baking soda plus 1/2 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice used with sweet milk to
make 1/2 cup total

OR

1/4 tsp baking soda plus 1/4 to 1/2 cup molasses

OR

1/4 tsp baking soda plus 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar (already posted)

Rebecca Herndon