From:
Kratzmeier Family <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kratzmeier Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:56:52 -0400

First, thank you to everyone who sent replies to my request for dining at Disney.  We just returned and had a wonderful experience. I was afraid that I would have to sneak all sorts of gf food into the park, but there was no need.

For those of you who asked for a summary of my responses --

The majority of the people said that planning is very important.  Decide which park you wish to eat in each day and make reservations. 1-407-WDW-DINE.  When you call to make the reservations, mention that you have a dietary concern (no gluten).  They then will give you a number to call one week in advance to talk to the head chef at the park at which the reservation has been made.  WHen you call, you are basically alerting them that you are coming so that they are prepared.  Both Magic Kingdom and EPCOT chefs sent me via email a listing of fast food places throughout the park that gf items can be found (where dedicated fryers were used for the fries), where you can get GF ice cream, where fresh fruit is sold, what you can eat from the various carts around the park like popcorn and turkey legs etc.

It seems that almost everyone had a positive experience with whereever they ate but the following had the most votes for sit down meals:
In Magic Kingdom -- Tony's Town Square Restaurant & Liberty Inn Tavern & Crystal Palace.
In EPCOT -- Canada or The Garden Grill. (American Adventure for counter service was the favorite of everyone with GF bread for burgers and even GF pizza!)
At Animal Kingdom -- Restaurantsaurus & Rainforest Cafe

If you stay at one of Disney resorts, let them know that and they will also give you the phone number of the chef at that resort.  You can talk to them directly and they will make sure that they have food for you and let you know where you can safely eat.  They made my son GF waffles, GF pasta one evening and a GF pizza another.  You can also request a refrig for your room.

For the fast food places in the park, just ask for the manager and let them know what you need.  They will take note of your order and make sure that the help changes their gloves in preparing your burger or whatever. It was nice to see on several receipts -- gf burger!

Their service made my son feel special and not different.

Michele in MD