From:
Scott Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 13:05:49 -0700

[log in to unmask] wrote:

>I am sorry you want to blame a good organization that has the welfare of
>all celiacs at heart.

I don't believe the issue here is whether or not the CSA does good work,
because they do.

The issue is whether the CSA is wrong for blacklisting quinoa, millet,
buckwheat, and amaranth, and I believe they are. If cross-contamination is
their reason for black-listing these grains (which, by the way is highly
unlikely with at least two of these grains, based on their size), then they
should say that the grains are safe, but cross-contamination could be an
issue. Blacklisting these items only serves to confuse celiacs and food
manufacturers, and makes it a nightmare for a company to create a
gluten-free product list, and in some cases, products that they believe are
gluten-free. I also predict that we (celiacs) will never achieve any
labeling laws regarding the gluten-free status of foods until we (the
celiac community), can agree on what is safe and what is not. How could
there possibly be any laws created, or how could companies possibly create
accurate gluten-free product lists, when the major celiac organizations
organizations in the USA don't agree on what is safe and what is not? The
only way to know whether or not these grains are safe is through the use of
science, and the CSA has ignored scientific research with regard to these
grains (actually, buckwheat isn't even a grain!).

Why not have a conference among the different celiac organizations to reach
an agreement on what is safe and what is not? Only then will we be able to
move on the more important issues like food labeling laws.

Scott Adams - San Francisco, USA
Celiac Support Page:
http://www.celiac.com/