Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 22:46:23 -0400

Hi,

I am an RD. For those of you who do not know what those initials stand
for--it means Registered Dietitian (note the correct spelling of my
profession). I agree that many RDs are not up-to-date on CD. As we all know,
many MDs are not either. I strongly feel, however, that all individuals dx
with CD (as well as with other diseases for which nutrition intervention is
pertinent) should receive nutrition counseling by an RD.

Just as you would seek out an MD with knowledge/experience in your disease,
it is your responsibility to seek out an RD with the same expertise. You can
find a qualified RD by checking the yellow pages (usually under Nutritionist)
but make sure RD is listed after the name. There is a free RD referral
service through the American Dietetic Association at 800-877-4653. As
consumers, we should all take responsibility for our healthcare, and that
includes quizzing healthcare professionals about their experience before
making an appointment with them.

Sandra Fishman, MS, RD