From:
Pam Marbach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pam Marbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2006 19:20:42 -0400

Thanks to all those who responded to my question about whether they know
of any butters or olive oils that were not gf..
Below are the responses I received...

Hi, beware machinery in commercial processing.  I am also sensitive to
corn,
and the ONLY olive oil we could find, after listing all available in stores
and emailing the companies, who committed that they ONLY bottle olive oil
is
Phillipo Berio, which I now purchase in the gallon-type cans.  I was
reacting even to organic olive oils until discovering that machinery used
in
bottling corn oils, etc., is also used to bottle olive oils.  I've had no
trouble with any organic butters; goat butter is extremely creamy (a little
strong for some).

Butter: be careful with any unsalted butter, as it frequently has
        'natural flavor' added in place of the salt. The label will
        clearly state if this is the case.

I don't know about olive oil but we only buy brand name like Bertolli and I
have checked with them about their products.  I can tell you my daughter
is sensitive to a lot of things and she does better on Bertolli XLight.

She is not tolerating stir fry made with Carapelli (the 100oz bottle from
Walmart).  I have not contacted them yet but I am wondering what is going
on
or what they filter the oil thru maybe???

As far as butter, I have read that sometimes they dust the belts or molds
with
starch, but Land O Lakes says they don't use starch.  I don't use a lot of
butter
but when I do, I stick to that.  I also stick to McCormick's single spices
because
they have stated over and over to various support groups in writing that
their
individual spices are sure to be gluten freee, and we do very well with
them.

I have personally never come across a butter that was not GF.  Many
unsalted butters have "natural flavors" on the ingredient list, but
whenever I've called about these, the answer has always been that they are
GF.

Margarines are completely different, however.  I have run into a number of
margarines or flavored oils (that is, flavored to taste like butter) used
in restaurants that are not GF.  I always have to look at the label and,
even if at a restaurant, I ask to see the label of the oil they are using..

    I am also curious if there are any olive oils that are NOT gluten
free?

Again, I've never seen a pure olive oil that wasn't GF.  However, there
are many flavored olive oils on the market -- and I'd say one needs to
approach those with caution.