From:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jackie Rich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:52:24 -0700

Hi all -
My pharmacist suggested I consult the "Orange Book" to look for
generic drug manufacturers who might produce medications that do not
contain dairy or gluten.  Unbeknownst to me, our daughter, who gets
migraines and other symptoms from eating dairy, has been taking a
medication for the past year that definitely contains lactose and
maybe casein (drug manufacturer doesn't know about the latter and
makes no claims).  Apparently lactose is a common filler in drugs.
Who knew??

We realized she had been inadvertently consuming dairy when a lab
test result showed her having an IGA reaction to milk (but none to
gluten because she has been successful in avoiding it).  As far as
any of us knew, she hadn't consumed anything containing dairy in a
couple of years, so we were very surprised and the hunt was on for
the source!!

The Orange Book is available online at:  http://www.fda.gov/cder/ob/

It provides a search function so you can locate medications by active
ingredient, by proprietary name, and some other categories.  The
drugs are listed by prescribed dosages (not all manufacturers make
drugs in all dosage levels).

It does NOT say whether drugs contain gluten, dairy or other
problematic fillers.  It also does NOT provide contact information
for the manufacturers, but I hope to find that out through an
internet search.  So the Orange Book isn't a great resource for us,
but it gives us a place to start our search for alternatives.

I thought you might find this information useful.

Jackie in AZ
USA