From:
diana day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
diana day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 21:29:38 -0400

I appreciate the responses to my request for information about Daily
Foods Blood Builder or names of iron supplements that are easy to
tolerate. Here are the replies:

I called the company and they said that while Blood Builder improves
hemoglobin, it doesn't necessarily raise ferritin leveles.

I take Daily Foods Blood Builder tablets without a problem. I haven't
gotten my ferritin levels tested lately, but I do feel a difference
taking them.

I have used Nature Made iron tablets and Freeda Vitamins multi vitamin
with iron which are both gluten free.  I get the Nature Made at an area
grocery store and Freeda is available by mail order or used to be from
Gluten Free.com (gluten free pantry.

I have the same problem.  I am trying a combination of glycinated iron,
chelated iron, Niferex (OTC, but behind the counter at my compounding
pharmacy) and liver.One of the Floradixes was gluten free and the other
was not, so you might want to check that as well.

A nurse explained to me that iron is often difficult to tolerate and she
suggested that I take it before I go to bed.

I have been taking Daily Foods Blood Builder for a few years.  It has
brought me up to where I am no longer anemic and I was pretty bad.  I
have not noticed any stomach upset but I  almost always take it after a
meal.

Hi! You mentioned Floradix - are you taking the liquid iron supplement
which is MUCH easier on your stomach and system in general and obviously
then the gluten free liquid (as there are two liquids that Floradix
makes plus the pills)?I am in Canada  so perhaps you cannot get the
liquid where you are however it helps me quite a bit as I am a blood
donor too!

I'm taking Nature Made Iron (equivalent to 325 mg ferrous sulfate).I
down it with a little OJ, because the citrus helps my body absorb the
iron, and something to eat to prevent it from upsetting my stomach.

I've never heard of this product, so thanks for the name.  I have tried
Ferro-Sequels green tabs, liquid iron (turned my gumline/teeth gray so I
quit - it got better), and eventually found Sam's Club brand, Member's
Mark (ea tab has 50mg elemental iron I believe).  I take with vit C
tabs.  I didn't have problems taking any of these, so I don't know if
you can tolerate.

I've had to take iron off and on for years.  They would bother my
stomach too.  I gave up on iron pills, slow ones, fast ones, whatever.
I found online that someone recommended organic Blackstrap molasses,
sold at Whole Foods.  The organic one is higher in iron for some reason.
It is very good for you.  It has iron and magnesium and vitamin A.  It
tastes yucky.  I take one tablespoon on an empty stomach and chase it
down with water.  Some people suggest mixing it with rice or soy milk or
juice.  I tried that, but it still tastes yucky.
But it definitely works to raise your ferritin level.  You can take a
tablespoon twice daily or maybe even 3 times.  Best taken on an empty
stomach one hour before eating, just so nothing interferes with the
absorption.

Blood Builder is the first iron supplement that has ever worked for my
mom she has a weak stomach and can't handle regular supplements. She has
more energy now than she has in a long time, I would say give it a shot

I use Every Women's Iron Support from New Chapter, I tolerate it very
well and it has the bonus of B12 and Folate.