From:
Cathy Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cathy Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 14:41:02 -0500

With the wonderful Gf list provided last week, I was able to call and
speak to our local BdB restaurant chef to confirm specific
recommendations.

We dined there last night and enjoyed the mixed green salad, garlic
mashed potatoes, (a real hit with my 12 YO son) Lemon and Marsala
Chicken. The chicken dishes use a rich reduction sauce,  avoiding
thickeners. The kitchen at these restaurants (at least in Pittsburgh and
I'm told in Florida) are wide open and you're allowed to walk right up
and talk to the chef, which I did.

They had cheesecake on the menu and I was told that it was
crustless. However, the chef, Darin, was careful not  to recommend it
as he thought that there was flour in the filling, He also could not
confirm the hazelnut
ice cream after bringing out an enormous
container that listed no ingredients!
So, seeing as 9 out of the 10 of us dining are non Celiac, I declined
dessert. I don't think I will ever be comfortable eating a rich dessert
that my son can not have, this is something I find so difficult to do,
maybe if he has a dessert of his own from home.

There have been many listings for restaurants lately due to the
dedicated work of an ambitious list member and it got me to thinking
about certification. Can anyone tell me more about this topic? I know
that GIG has done fine work with Outback (and PF Changs??) and I'd
like to know if there are more restaurants in the works, or can we
recommend places that seem to be willing to work with us?

Cathy