From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 22:11:36 -0700

Hi Ken,
I was pleased to see you apologize for your choice of words. I had decided
not to bother replying to you, as I thought you were being more than a
little superior about it, and I'm a little touchy right now.

I would like to suggest that you check out some of the information on
malignancy and celiac disease, especially lymphoma. One of the studies
established 3 categories: One for those who adhere to the diet strictly; one
for those who follow the diet, but not very strictly; and one for those who
do not follow the diet.

The first group, after 5 years, shows a significant reduction in risk. In
fact, it is quite close to the risk experienced by members of the general
population.

The second group does experience some reduction in risk, but it remains
closer to the rate of malignancy in untreated celiac disease.

The third group has a very high risk of malignancy.

I find the gluten reactions, although unpleasant, are not incapacitating,
after the  first 24 hours.

But my brother just died from lymphoma. When I was saying goodbye to him, he
was  difficult to understand, because he had lost the lining from his mouth
and tongue. As he spoke, which was very painful for him, his raw tongue kept
sticking to the roof of his mouth. He had experienced three and one half
months of constant, chronic diarrhea when he died.

I'm guessing that you might want a better death than that, so I would like
to suggest that you watch out for the crumbs in the butter dish.

I hope this doesn't sound snotty. It is intended as helpful, but as I said,
I'm a little touchy right now.

Sincerely,
Ron Hoggan

                      Reference:
Holmes, Prior, Lane, et. al. "Malignancy in coeliac disease - effect of a
gluten free diet" _Gut_ 1989; 30: 333-338
Ron Hoggan   Calgary, Alberta, Canada