Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:10:38 +0200

E>Esther at [log in to unmask] wrote:

E>Sometime in the past few months I read on the list about an alternate way to
E>test people who had been on a gluten free diet. Instead of having to challenge
E>the system with a gluten diet over several weeks, a gluten containing
E>suppository was used, and the person was tested several hours later. I do not
E>recall in which country this was used.
E> Unfortunately, I did not save the article, but would be most interested in
E>obtaining it again if anyone can help.
This is was in response to my post:

Subject: Diagnosis for those Gluten free
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 96 09:28:57 +0100
      However the details of the third biopsy interested me because there is
a new form of it and it may provide an alternative diagnosis for those already
on a gluten free diet but who are self diagnosed.
      The third biopsy new variation involved "a rectal dose of gluten rather
than an oral dose.  The rectal biopsy, far easier to obtain than a jejunal
biopsy, is then examined for the diagnosis. ..."
      It sounds like this test could be given to those on a gluten free diet who
have not had biopsies 1 and 2.  What are the thoughts from the professional
community?  How generally available might such a test be?
                              Martha Teeter
Here is the only reply I got to this message:

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 96 14:26:06 GMT
From: [log in to unmask] (Michael Jones)

I can give you some insight into this.  The rectal test is being developed by
Dr. March in England.  I believe that he finally published a study.  It is not
as accurate as he hoped a few years ago.

So far, it has not picked up wide spread support.

Mike