From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 23:48:57 -0700

>On the bright (?) side, if you need an emergency operation you are going to
>be nil by mouth anyway. And if you are unconcious it is unlikely that they will
>try to put any food or drink down your throat because of the risk of choking.
>I'm not a doctor, but I would have thought that injected drugs wouldn't need
>any sort of starch carrier and so should be safe.

Hi Tim,
I'm posting my dissenting opinion to the list, as it is growing so rapidly
that some may not be aware of an experience I had at the end of July last
year. I underwent a CT scan. Because I identified myself as a celiac, the
radiologist was ready for me. He used the contrast solution that  is less
likely to cause an immune reaction. Still, I experienced extreme difficulty
breathing. It felt like something was blocking my airways from inside.

Subsequent discussion revealed that he had the antidote at hand before I was
wheeled into the room. (I wondered how they could be so quick with it.) The
radiologist told me that I was the third celiac he had done a CT scan on,
and the third celiac who had had a reaction to it.

I should mention that I have had severe lung problems for years. That may
skew the value of this anecdote. Nonetheless, I think the bracelet is a good
idea.

Best Wishes,

Ron Hoggan   Calgary, Alberta, Canada