Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:15:07 -0500

Dear Listmembers,

Yesterday I received a written response from Patak's in the U.K.  I will
type in the content of the cover letter - it explains the gluten-free
list they sent me.

Dear Ms. Bertagne,

Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding our gluten free product.   I
have enclosed one of our lists for your information.  It is always nice
to hear from consumers who are impressed with our products.  It makes
all of our efforts worthwhile.

All our pastes are gluten free and none contain wheat flour or
derivatives.  Our citric acid is manufactured from glucose derived from
maize.  We only use pure spices, many of which we grind ourselves from
the seed and have no additives.

I hope that you continue to enjoy our products in the future.

Assuring you of our very best attention at all times, we remain.

Yours sincerely,

I was even more impressed with them after reading this letter.  They
answered my questions simply and clearly, with full disclosure.  The
gluten free list they sent with the letter seems to encompass, if not
all their products, all the items I have seen here, and many I have
never seen, but will now be on the lookout for.  When we go to England
next summer, I'll be sure to buy and enjoy as many of their products as
I can.

I cannot scan in the list, but it is comprehensive.  Just from what the
letter says, any source that *could* contain gluten, does not.  If you
want a list of your own, Patak's has a website with a link to "contact
us."  Drop them a note and they will send you one!  Here's the link:
http://www.pataks.co.uk

Juliane in Houston