From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:42:41 -0500

Five responses, so far...copied and pasted. If there are errors, I apologize, but I didn't edit these and haven't had time to try the recipes. Thanks to all who responded. More to follow.

Lin

1.  Onion Sonata
6 SERVINGS EGG-& DAIRY-FREE
This soup blends six different onions into perfect harmony. The
garlic-rubbed toasts are a delicious complement. You could also melt a
little shredded Gruyere cheese on the toasts before placing them in the
soup bowls.
Save the leek greens for the Rich Stock (recipe follows).
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
6 medium leeks (white and light green
   parts), halved lengthwise, rinsed well
   and chopped (3 cups)
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
4 large shallots, minced
4 scallions (white and light green
   parts), cut into 1-inch pieces
2 Tbs. minced garlic
6 cups Rich Stock (recipe follows)
1 Tbs. shoyu or soy sauce
1 Tbs. molasses
1 tsp. salt
18 thin slices baguette
1 medium clove garlic, peeled and
   halved
Chopped chives for garnish
1. In large heavy pot, heat oil over low heat. Add leeks and onions and
cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
2. Add shallots, scallions and minced garlic and cook, stirring
occasionally, until onions have wilted and cooked down, about 30
minutes, increasing heat if necessary during last 10 minutes to brown
onions. It's okay if some brown bits stick to the bottom.
3. Add stock, shoyu and molasses, stirring with a wooden spatula to
scrape up bits from bottom of pot. Cover, increase heat to high and
bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add salt and simmer, partially
covered, 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350 [degrees] F. Place baguette slices on a baking
sheet and bake until crisp and toasted, about 10 minutes. Immediately
rub each warm slice with cut side of garlic clove.
5. Season soup with freshly ground pepper to taste and a little more
salt if necessary. Place 3 garlic toasts in each bowl. Ladle soup over
toasts, garnish with chives and serve hot.
PER SERVING: 281 CAL.; 8G PROT.; 4G TOTAL FAT (1G SAT, FAT); 54G CARB.;
0 CHOL.; 864MG SOD.; 5G FIBER

Rich Stock
MAKES 6 CUPS EGG- & DAIRY-FREE
This deeply savory vegetable stock is indispensable to the Onion Sonata,
but you can use it anytime you need a hearty flavor boost. Celery root,
potato and lentils give it extra body. You can prepare stock up to 3
days ahead and refrigerate. This also freezes well--for several months
or more which makes it a snap to prepare soup on short notice.

1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups well rinsed, roughly chopped
   leek greens
4 medium cloves garlic, halved
3 medium carrots, roughly chopped
8-oz. piece celery root (celeriac), peeled
   and cut into 1-inch chunks or
   2 stalks celery, chopped
1 medium potato (8 oz.), cut into
   chunks
1/2 cup uncooked brown lentils
1 Tbs. shoyu (natural soy sauce)
1/2 tsp. black peppercorns
8 stems fresh fiat-leaf parsley
Several sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1. In large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add leek greens,
garlic, carrots, celery root and potato and cook, stirring occasionally,
7 minutes.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients along with 11 cups cold water. Increase
heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer,
uncovered, until lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.
3. Cool slightly. Strain stock through a sieve into large bowl, pressing
on solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
Discard solids. Cool stock before refrigerating or freezing.
PER SERVING: 99 CAL.; 2G PROT.; 2G TOTAL FAT (0 SAT. FAT); 4G CARB.; 0
CHOL,; 186MG SOD.; 0 FIBER

2.  I'll admit I haven't tried doing this, but I'd start with the excellent vegetable stock (not broth) available from Imagine <http://www.imaginefoods.com/products/category.php?cat_id=209> that is both gf and kosher. I use it for most of my cooking calling for meat broth or stock when I'm too lazy to make my own (I keep kosher, but only eat dairy/parve.) It's very rich tasting, and should be an admirable substitute for the beef stock in traditional French onion soup. For cheese, I'd use a mix--one recipe I have uses parmesan and gruyere (Joy of Cooking), another just gruyere (The Professional Chef). I think mozarella is too soft. Bread--I know it's not exactly like the traditional french bread, but try the Glutino Flax Seed Bread. It's got an excellent taste and texture. If you've got a Trader Joe's near you, you could also try either their Ryeless Rye or French rolls.
Other suggestions--the recipe in The Professional Chef has you saute the onions slowly in clarified
butter until deep golden brown (about 45 minutes for 3 lbs. of onions in 2 oz. of butter), then
deglaze the pan with 4 oz. of Calvados (apple brandy) and cook the liquid down until it's slightly
syrupy. You could use this trick, whether with the Calvados or some other brandy to add even more
depth to the flavor. Their recipe is for a gallon of soup (using 3 1/2 quarts of broth), so modify
amounts accordingly.

3...I've used Kitchen Basics Vegetable Broth in place of the beef broth and a good strong Asiago cheese or a shredded smoked Gouda.  Also, add an additional onion to whatever recipe you use. Or, if you wish to use beef broth and try a shredded Soy Mozzarella -- needless to say, it's vegetable based, not dairy.  It may not melt as well as regular cheese but the flavor is quite passable.

4...Traditional french onion soup gratinee: 1/2 pound onions finely chopped, fry in butter, cook thoroughly, but do not colour them too much. Sprinkle with two tablespoons gf flour. Stir with a wooden spoon for a few moments. Add 2 quarts of water or vegetable stock (carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, a couple of potatoes, a couple of bay leaves, whole black peppercorns, parsley stems and a leek (if you have any) -use whatever quantities you want, cover with water in a large pot and cook for a hour and half to two hours over med heat). Cook the soup for 25 mins. The cheese I've seen used most often is Gruyeres. I have no opinion on the bread as I'm not a huge fan of onion soup gratinee. The above recipe is adapted from Larousse Gastronomique.

5.  We use the one from Alton Brown at foodnetwork.com . We just used chicken broth and not the beef consume or beef broth.Just use more chicken broth or wine to make up for the beef liquid. As for the cheese we used gruyer and parmesan. We used Whole Foods sandwich bread and toasted it. I think next time I would use a french bread mix (we like the french bread mix from Made by Mona).
Enjoy!!!

            French Onion Soup Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
                  Show:  Good Eats
                  Episode:  A Bowl of Onion

      5 sweet onions (like Vidalias) or a combination of sweet and red onions (about 4 pounds)
      3 tablespoons butter
      1 teaspoon salt
      2 cups white wine
      10 ounces canned beef consume
      10 ounces chicken broth
      10 ounces apple cider (unfiltered is best)
      Bouquet garni; thyme sprigs, bay leaf and parsley tied together with kitchen string
      1 loaf country style bread
      Kosher salt
      Ground black pepper
      Splash of Cognac (optional)
      1 cup Fontina or Gruyere cheese, grated
      Trim the ends off each onion then halve lengthwise. Remove peel and finely slice into half moon shapes. Set electric skillet to 300 degrees and add butter. Once butter has melted add a layer of onions and sprinkle with a little salt. Repeat layering onions and salt until all onions are in the skillet. Do not try stirring until onions have sweated down for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, stir occasionally until onions are dark mahogany and reduced to approximately 2 cups. This should take 45 minutes to 1 hour. Do not worry about burning.
      Add enough wine to cover the onions and turn heat to high, reducing the wine to a syrup consistency. Add consume, chicken broth, apple cider and bouquet garni. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
      Place oven rack in top 1/3 of oven and heat broiler.
      Cut country bread in rounds large enough to fit mouth of oven safe soup crocks. Place the slices on a baking sheet and place under broiler for 1 minute.
      Season soup mixture with salt, pepper and cognac. Remove bouquet garni and ladle soup into crocks leaving one inch to the lip. Place bread round, toasted side down, on top of soup and top with grated cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden, 1 to 2 minutes