From:
mireille <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:51:19 -0500

I received a nice letter:

"They know the g.f. status.  I had a good discussion w/ one of the
supervisor when they announced to change their product in the spring.

MOM discontinued the dedicated lines that had been used to make the Corn
Burst and Coco Bytes early in the year for economic reason. Puffed rice
had always been made on a shared line with puffed wheat and contamination
was likely, where we knew it or not.

I'm hoping that at the end of the year they see a big drop in sales after
lines were closed. (That was part of the discussion I had was their rep.)
I publicized the upcoming product change to our members who stocked up on
the g.f. version.  Hopefully, MOM will see the folly of their decision and
realize there is more $$ to be made than lost in supplying g.f. cereals to
those with wheat & gluten allergies before people run of out of the old
ones. It would be even better if they decided to make additional cereals--
crispy & frosty rice, g.f. as well so they would have enough g.f. products
to fully utilize a dedicated line.

Contamination is any facility that process grains/flour is a problem since
flour dust can float through the air and settle up on all surfaces hours
later. (Other products don't carry the same risk...Soup doesn't fly.)
Deliberately adding wheat starch just gives companies a minimal level of
contamination. They will face costly product recalls if people are eating
their product assuming it is wheat free and then complain when it's not.
Until the FDA comes back with a sytem for defining contamination levels
(2008), companies are just doing what they need to say comply with the new
allergen labeling law."

And an other one, less nice and rather sanctimonious stating that I had no
proof, etc...etc...

Well, I have called them myself, and many other people in our Delphi CD
Forum did so too.  As they dont bother to have an e-mail address, I cant
copy any responses from them, but here is what I have:

It has been notorious and most Celiac forums are discussing about this
subject.
Moreover, I have called myself 1-800-743-3029 last February, and here what
I was told this:

(I had kept the msg in a file)

"They are going to be making some of the previously gf cereals NOT gf
now, beginning late this comming summer. This is because the FDA has
not set regulations for gluten, and they do not test at their
facility, so they are adding the gluten to basically cover their
butt!! GRRRRRRRR The cereals were already made on non dedicated
lines that were washed between batches. They never tested for gluten
content on batches.
The fruity dyno bites will be the cereal that is NOT changing and
they are made on a dedicated line accoring to the customer service
rep (BTW she was SOOOO nice).

SOOOOOOO what it all boils down to IS:

Until late summer (she said watch for label changes) the following
cereals remain on their gluten free list:

• Malt-O-Meal Puffed Rice
• Malt-O-Meal Corn Bursts®
• Malt-O-Meal Fruity Dyno-Bites®
• Malt-O-Meal Cocoa Dyno-Bites®.

AFTER the summer change it looks like we are POSSIBLY still left
with fruity dyno bites and that is all!!"

Look at these previously gf cereal nutrition facts, and see:  they have
added wheat:

http://www.malt-o-meal.com/pages/cc_CornBursts_NF.html
http://www.malt-o-meal.com/pages/cc_CocoaDB_NF.html
http://www.malt-o-meal.com/pages/cc_PuffedRice_NF.html

Puffed rice was a stapple to me for breakfast, I'm very mad

Regards,
Mireille