From:
Tara Taft <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 28 Jun 2005 06:15:04 EDT

Thank you for the South Dakota responses.  Following is a brief summary.

Health food stores:  one person buys GF bread in Rapid City at Main St
Market, 512 Main St, (side of building is on Rushmore Road to Mt Rushmore), and in
Spearfish, SD (65 miles west) at Good Earth Natural Foods, 138 E Hudson St.

Restaurants:  One person responded that "we ate at a small cafe outside of
the Badlands. It's about 3 miles from the entrance off of exit 131 on 1-90. I
talked to the owner several times and her name is Ellen. They made my son baked
french fries and were very accomondating. It's also a campground. We also ate
at the Alphine Inn in Hill City, SD. This place does not do subsitutions and
the waitress we had the night we were there was down right terrible. We told
her that we did not want Texas Toast, no dressing on our salad, and we brought
out a normal meal as is."

Rapid City has a Hardees, McDonalds, A & W, and a Dairy Queen.  Pierre has a
Hardees, McDonalds and a Dairy Queen.

In addition, I have talked the kitchen managers/chefs at Big Al's Buffalo
Steakhouse in Deadwood, Blue Bell Lodge in Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore
Visitor Center Cafeteria, Cedar Pass Lodge and A&M Cafe in Interior (near
Badlands).  All sound very accomodating.  All burgers are gluten free (without the
bun).  French fries at most are not ok though Cedar Pass Lodge says their FF are
fried in separate fryolator (will check it out).  Cedar Pass Lodge uses Lawry
taco seasoning in Indian tacos (contains wheat).  A&M uses Ortega seasoning in
Indian tacos (need to check).  Blue Bell Lodge said that trout and chicken
breasts could be had without breading.  Mt. Rushmore, Blue Bell, and A&M serve
breakfast and cook eggs on separate grill from pancakes, etc.

I am encouraged.  Thanks to those who responded!