From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 19:12:02 -0700

Hey, all!  I wrote last week to mention a sudden and unexplained bout of bowel
movements accompanied by orange oil floating on top of the water.  I had
a hysterectomy (& salpingo-oophorectomy) about 2 1/2 months ago and wondered
if that could have caused any symptoms such as this.

Quite a few people wrote to mention they had this symptom before going
gluten-free.  Many responders thought I probably got gluten in my diet
somehow.  My symptoms when I do eat gluten accidentally are very different
from this, so I doubt this was caused by gluten.  Some people wondered
whether I had eaten a certain rare kind of fish, which can cause the same
symptom.  In addition, some people mentioned I may have pancreatic or
gallbladder issues, which can cause malabsorption of fats, apparently.  These
conditions can be intermittent.  A couple of women mentioned that menopause
and hormone replacement therapy affected their absorption of fats.  (I'm
interested in learning more about this now that I'm in surgical menopause!)

I did get a referral from my doctor to a gastroenterologist, but I'm not sure
I am going to go now because this particular symptom occurred only twice and
then ceased.  I'm hoping it's gone forever!

So I don't actually have any answers.  I'm still pondering whether to make an
appointment with the gastroenterologist or not.  If I do, I will let those of
you who are interested know what s/he thinks.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice and for the knowledge you have that
you passed on to me!

-Christie in Chandler, AZ