From:
"John B." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John B.
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:25:54 -0500

Having spent 14 years searching for a reason why I feel this way, I have
finally been given a preliminary diagnosis of CD based on IGG & IGA tests.
I am trying to see Dr. Baillie at Duke for a biopsy in the next few weeks.
In a perverted sense, I am anxious to start a GF diet.  While I dread the
thought of changing my lifestyle, I am almost giddy at the prospect of
regaining control of my life.

I have many questions and have discovered some great sites for information.
 There is a local support group that I hope to hook up with once the
diagnosis is final (I am still not willing to accept my fate and besides, I
cannot go GF until after the biopsy!).  I have read the clinical notes on
the disease but what I need to know is how the treatment affects the
individual.  Is the freedom from being symptom free enough motivation to
become and remain GF?  Are there any noticeable mental effects of
maintaining a GF life style?  I see that several studies associate CD with a
host of mental disorders, including depression.  Will a GF diet change my
mental state to the point where the diet becomes manageable?  I have to tell
you all, I have co-existed with this disease for over 10 years.  I have
accepted the effects as a way of life and I lead an active life.  Life would
be better if I could live my life without the effects, but the cost…
Examining my life, to become GF is going to take more than just reading
labels and eliminating gluten.  How did you folks make the switch?  How many
times did you fail before you finally became GF for any period of time?
What helped you become successful?  What was/is the hardest thing about
going GF?  How different is your life now from when CD was in control?

Thanks for reading this and if you care to reply, please do so privately.
All opinions and points of view are welcome.