Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2011 22:15:43 -0600

I received 4 replies with experience on Carnival cruises and many requests
for summaries - must be vacation planning time for everyone!

The replies are below - but, to summarize, 3 of the 4 had a very positive
experience.  One found the food choices untrustworthy.

When we booked today I was told that we don't fill out a form at this point,
but we are to report to the purser and ask for the dining coordinator as
soon as we load the ship.  At that point we will go over the menu options
and make plans.  We plan to carry along a couple of bread and cake mixes
just in case.  I also plan to pack protein bars for the excursions when we
land.  I will also call customer service when we are closer to trip time.

Thanks to all who replied.  It helps to know what to expect  - makes the
travelling much easier.  I really appreciate having this group to go to for
the voices of experience!

Becky in TX

__________

Yes, I have gone on many cruises with Carnival and have never gotten sick.

You should call their customer service center a bout a month before you
leave and let them know that you need a gluten free diet. When you board, go
to see the dining room manager and discuss you special diet needs with him
or her. You will probably be told to eat in the main dining room most of the
time, although you can do the buffet for lunch if you are instructed on what
to eat by the buffet manager. You can bring bread ; and/or muffin mix and
they will bake it for you.  Some ships can now make gluten free pizza and
serve gluten free pasta. The do serve a basic white rice sandwich bread, but
I don't like it. You can also bring snacks of your choice, ask them to empty
the frig in your room of their  snacks,and leave them there. They even have
a special gluten free dessert menu. The chocolate melting cake ( flourless)
is to die for. The only weak link, so  to speak, are your table servers.

Keep an eye on what they serve you and how they serve you. Stay with the
same servers and same dinner time, and you will do better. I give them a $20
phone card about half way through the trip to thank them for taking good
care of me at the table. When you go on excursions, take a sandwich made
with gluten free bread and cold cuts from the buffet, and fruit, in your
back pack. I hope this information is helpful to you.  You will have a great
time!

__________________________

We took the Conquest out of Galveston in September of 2009. It was great.
Nothing too special but my needs were taken care of safely. In fact my
vegetarian husband had a harder time than I, although he could eat the
pizza. If you're on the Conquest, the woman that took care of us was Petra.
She was also the wedding coordinator and we were there for my SIL's wedding,
so she doubly took care of our group, even making sure I had plenty to eat
at the wedding reception.

So, I faxed my request to the ship when we placed our reservations. There's
a form somewhere on the website. Then, immediately upon boarding that day, I
went to the main dining room and asked to speak with the head coordinator,
Petra. Every night at dinner, she brought me the next days menu and we
decided then what I wanted to order. The soups were great. Desserts pretty
good, except for the tiramisu (don't bother, no GF ladyfingers), with the GF
chocolate lava cake being the best. I ordered one every night, along with
something else if I wanted. They would bring me bread, but it wasn't
anything to write home about. Petra got a hefty tip when we left. Plus she
was a hoot, she took a lot of ribbing from our table easily.

I did take some food with me, mainly snacks and breakfast supplements like
cereal and granola, which I ate with cheese, yogurt, fruit, etc. I didn't
mess with the eggs or omelet station as I am allergic to eggs too. I also
took food for the shore excursions. Just don't flaunt that you are taking
food off the ship...

___________________________________

Hi there, my Celiac daughters and I have done several cruises on the Ecstasy
out of Galveston in recent years (we live in Central TX) and we've had
nothing but wonderful experiences through the entire process (from
pre-cruise planning through final meals on the ship). The best thing to do
is be very proactive in communicating the strict need for a GF menu during
reservation stage and they'll facilitate your completing some special
requirement forms. We've also taken along with us some basic favorite GF
mixes (bread, cakes) and turned those over to the assigned dining room team
leader immediately upon boarding the ship. Each day we had the opportunity
to pre-plan with the team lead/Maitre'd selections for upcoming meals. My
daughters ended up feeling special (in a good way!) rather than embarrassed
or left out of yummy options. And, since so much of cruising revolves around
food, that's important!

We went on a Carnival cruise last spring break.  I have heard other cruise
lines are much better about GF food than Carnival.  However, we called ahead
and they told us there would be no problem.

IF you were in the dining room, and IF you had your "assigned" GF lady, you
MIGHT get MOSTLY GF food.  My daughter found it impossible to outside of the
dining room...except for salad and fruit.  She didn't want to eat in the
dining room all 3 meals.  At dinner they gave her a slice of GF bread that
tasted ok.  I didn't trust the cross contamination issue either, as many of
the people who prepare the food do not "get it".  And going off the ship to
eat....forget about it.  We smuggled fruit off in our bags so she would not
starve when exploring an island.  It was not "relaxing" in the least for
her.  Sorry.

*******
*******