Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:17:29 -0800

<Clip>

> Diagnosis of CS in the US is probably lower than it should be due to rigid
> medical practices and old thinking.

<Clip>

> It costs about $175, but is well worth the cost if it helps a physician
> become more interested and learn more about this disease.

<Clip>

It is imperative that people with celiac disease come to the realization
that doctors don't know anything about celiac disease and that they don't
want to know anything about celiac disease.  They are acting like the
doctors who refused to wash their hands before surgery long after Dr. Lister
proved that it was absolutely necessary.  Doctors are generally backward!

Without a diagnosis I healed my gut and stopped all my symptoms by adhering
strictly to a diet I used my common sense to prescribe for myself.  I kept
her informed of my ' anecdotal diagnosis' of my problem and my success in
treating myself.   All this time she just said Hmmm.  When I finally was
able to tell her that I had cured myself with my diet she said an amazing
thing, "That's nice, now you'll be able to eat anything you want."

This doctor is a well-respected internist in this community.  Fortunately
you don't need a doctor to treat celiac disease.

When I asked her specifically what she was taught about celiac disease
during her medical training she freely admitted that she didn't remember
celiac disease being mentioned to her.   Another discouraging thing about
this situation is that she is a young doctor.

This is where we stand and I think it's time we face up to that and stop
pretending there is any hope of any change in this.  Doctors don't know
anything about celiac disease and they obviously aren't interested in it.  I
consider this a good thing.  Treat yourself and stay away from doctors who
sometimes do potentially dangerous, invasive biopsies that are completely
worthless.

Joe Clemens, Port Angeles, WA  [log in to unmask]